a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Deck Hull Seam repair? Pics

Started by Mattlikesbikes, June 09, 2013, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

The sun was beating down on the rub rail today and it was kind of falling off on one spot. I pulled it off a little and noticed some of the fiberglass was broken and just laying there.  
This is right where I have my ladder so I am sure I stepped on that edge a few times and either caused this or made it worse  

Just when I think I am almost ready to launch the boat something else comes up

Could this wait until winter or should I address it now maybe put some sort of caulk in there

I am also missing the eyebrow trim  what can I use to seal the holes until I get some replacements

Thanks matt

MacGyver

DONT USE SILICONE on the eyebrow trim. Use Life Caulk or something like that.

Also, that boat looks to have been hit in that section as the stress marks above radius that area. Life caulk could be used as a temporary fix to seal off that area for repair later.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Yea a little smack on the edge. Some stress cracks above the smack ... I'd clean up all the loose stuff, mix up your favorite thickened polyester resign epoxy blend and fill in the empty space. When cured, sink a rivet or two, sand her a bit, use one piece of double stick sided taped above, over the edge, and below the joint and slap on the rub rail and go sailing.

I'd fill the screw holes from the eye brow in with the same epoxy mix. [only takes a drop a hole] and when cured drill a tiny, tiny screw starter hole through the epoxy and screw down the eye brow. Put some goop, your choice, DONT USE SILICONE, but Life Caulk is the current favorite stuff under the eyebrow around the hole and go sailing.

skip.

Mattlikesbikes

Is Life Caulk easy to remove?   The eyebrows are awol at the moment . They might show up like the title or I might have to order some new ones.   I was thinking of using some Life Caulk to just fiill in the holes where the eyebrows are for the time being. I have been finding some water in the cabin after heavy rains so I need to track that down

My plan is to to get the boat in the water Friday.  I guess I can always do the fiberglass work in the water.

skip1930

For temporary fills go to Ace and for $3 you can get a pound of Duct Seal and push it into the holes. Never hardens, seals 100% and just moves out of the way when you sink the permanent screws. Use it all the time a the aeroport.

skip.

Mattlikesbikes

Quote from: skip1930 on June 09, 2013, 03:32:53 PM
For temporary fills go to Ace and for $3 you can get a pound of Duct Seal and push it into the holes. Never hardens, seals 100% and just moves out of the way when you sink the permanent screws. Use it all the time a the aeroport.

skip.

Skip thanks for the tip on the Duct Seal. I picked up a brick this afternoon and plugged all the eyebrow holes ( I went a little overboard) . Hopefully that should stop the water getiing in the cabin untill I get some eyebrows.  I need to order some epoxy this week so I can fix the seam. The cockpit is pretty beat up and the fiberglass at the bottom of the champion way is cracked ( I assume from people stepping there). so I probably should order enough to fix everything

Thanks again for the help guys