Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bearing Buddies

Started by reedtg3, August 22, 2013, 09:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

Ahoy Mates-
What size (or model) Bearing Buddies fit the standard Suncat Magic Tilt trailer?
Tom, CP 17 SC 377 "Cattail"

rogerschwake

I own a 2003 Sun Cat and Performance trailer. It has 1.980" Bearing Buddies on it. It would be a good idea to carry an extra set of bearings and grease for your trailer also. The size that fits mine are 1 1/16". Had a flat tire last Sunday and sure was glad to have a spare to put on to get home. Hope you never need any of these things but it sure is a good idea to carry them with you. Our boats don't sail with out water and those trailers get them there.
ROGER

reedtg3

Thanks, Roger.  I hadn't thought about carrying spare bearings and grease, but that's a good idea.
Tom

cavie

Check you hubs closely. I have an 02 performance trailer and it has posi-lube hubs. Bearing buddys not required. Better system.

skip1930

Why carry an extra bearing set? They either turn or don't turn. The bearings and surfaces that carry the load [the inside set] and outside set, [along just for the ride], all are hardened.

A little grease and they are good. Even if rusted~after a few miles and they are polished up again. That's what the second function of grease is for, to collect and hold the rust dust that's knocked off.

The 'keepers' that hold the assembly together, do just that. Hold it together so you can slide it over the spindle and seat it in the race, they do no work other then that. Hold the bearing together for convince, doesn't matter if they are junk. They carry no weight. Tap in the seal and that's it.

The old days we use to pack in a bunch of cold grease and place each ball bearing around the hub and seating these against the race then sliding that assembly over the spindle, capturing all in it's proper location without a keeper.

Just my two cents. No big deal. You guys are going to do what you want.

skip.

reedtg3

Butch, Skip-
Thanks.  Procrastination has its rewards.
Tom

Bob23

"Procrastination is the thief of time".
Bob23

cavie

Skip, I carry extra bearing set and hub, because when you pull into the rest stop at the foot of the Skyway Bridge in St Pete Fl. and your bearings are gone and you have to chisel the remaining races off the axcel on a Sunday afternoon, you have with you what you need.  ;D  all this with a trailer with  1500 miles on it and no salt water..

skip1930

Chisel the race off ... so why did the bearing become that hot?
No lube? Too much weight? Wrong bearing? Nut too tight or too loose?

"There be a reason why the bearing went away".
I have almost 300,000 miles on the same set of bearings on my Ford Expedition.

skip.

cavie

New boat, new trailer, 2 days 1500 miles, 90 miles from home no spare parts.

Citroen/Dave

As posted elsewhere, my new Bearing Buddy, starboard side, ran hotter than the other. Cause: the Bearing Buddy pushed against the bearing race and it was not even driven all the way to the mark.  Always test spin a wheel, on the jack, after driving in the Bearing Buddy.  We have had several reports of this problem.

Also, never pump a new grease into an unknown grease already in the bearings.  Greases are not mixable.  They will eventually attack each other and liquefy causing the dreaded "Over Heated Bearing" symptom as the bearing fails.  You will see liquid grease outside the bearings and come to the wrong conclusion if you mix greases.

My repeated warnings,
Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"