a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard on Suncat - different issue than trailering

Started by Alex H., May 28, 2013, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex H.

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the other outboard thread .  I have a 6 hp Tohatsu on my Suncat and need to motor 1 1/2 hours each way to get to Port Eveglades inlet. The outboard, while motoring:
1 - starst to work itself loose and tilts to port no matter how much I tighten the clamps and
2- does not remain aligned with the centerline of the boat no matter how much I tighten the screw on the shaft that is supposed to adjust the force needed to turn the outboard.

Both the outboard and the Suncat (hence the outboard mount) are new. I noticed that the starboard clamp is beginning to make a dent and squeeze the plastic outboard mount.

I have tried to solve the port/starboard movement of the outboard by lashing it to the gallows post with a line but this can cause a problem if I suddenly need to steer with the outboard in the tight and congested ICW around Fort Lauderdale as it was this Memorial Day weekend. Leaving it be causes serious lee helm under power as the outboard slowly cavitates to port and fights against the helm while I'm trying to turn the "other" way. Great upper body workout but my shoulders are getting sore.. :-)

The tilting issue presents the danger of losing the outboard if it works itself all the way loose although I have tied with a lanyard and is quite annoying and dangerous trying to correct in the middle of the ICW on a busy weekend as evidenced by my bruised palm...

Any thoughts, suggestions observations would be welcome....

Craig

Tohatsu ouboards are notorious for their ineffective tiller clamps. On my Suncat I installed remote motor controls and steering system from Powertiller. (powertiller.com). Go to the site and watch the demos. They were one of the best investments I made for the Suncat. Best of all I did not have to drill any holes to mount the steering system. I simply mounted the turning blocks for the steering lines on the boom gallows with stainless hose clamps. Worked like a charm and is like having power steering. The lines can be disconnected from the tiller in seconds and do not interfere with tilting the motor up. If you don't mind sailing with the motor down, the friction in the system stabilizes the tiller allowing the boat to self steer for brief periods. I had the same Tohatsu on Cattitude and the two systems made maneuvering for docking and trailing a piece of cake. Backing the boat while steering the outboard with the tiller has to be experienced to be believed! As to the clamps, I used a long shackle lock through the clamp toggles which both kept the clamps from loosening and prevented theft of the motor.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

Alex H.,

Just a little comment I'd like to add to Craig's very informative experienced-based Post on the same motor.

For normal steering (not close quarters or docking), release the tiller and let it float completely FREE while steering the boat with the Outboard Handle. A short PVC extension really helps for reach over the transom. Won't have to worry about Tohatsu Friction Screw function.

You will find that the tiller (rudder) will follow the Outboard steering lead. Its like MAGIC!

capt_nemo

Salty19

Hmm..I would try the Captn's advise here first. Might be all you need.

One of these days I'm going to look into a quick-detach tiller to motor link for our CP19 to give good control and ease of use. I suppose it's not a priority as I don't motor much, but know what you mean about the outboard that pivots on it's own. Raising sails sometimes it can be difficult to hold course when the motor fights the rudder. 

Here's a link to the kind of system I'm referring to. One can make their own for a lot less.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2808.0

I imagine that type of system would be best for tight quarter work?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Craig

Nice simple system. Looked at something like that for the Suncat but the through the transom tiller precluded that. The Powertiller system is really pretty simple and could probably be easily be home built.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL