a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Deep cycle battery deal....

Started by Shawn, May 30, 2013, 09:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

In case anyone is looking for a deep cycle battery Advance Auto has a promotion going on right now for orders over $100 you get a 15% discount as well as a $50 gift card for your next order over $100.

They have group 27 deep cycle batteries for $101.99 and group 31 for $95.99... add a hydrometer and that order will be over $100. That cost alone is a good deal, with the discount and gift card it is a steal.

Order must be placed ONLINE (store pickup is fine) and you must be logged into an Advance Auto account to get the $50 gift card.

Just picked up a new battery tonight. I left the old one in the boat over the winter (opps...) and it killed its capacity. Almost considering using the gift card toward setting up a battery bank but I don't think I really need the capacity.

Shawn

Bob23

Thanks, Shawn.
   I've been leaving the Interstate battery on board my 23 over the winter for the past 7 years and have never had a problem. I charge the battery once in the fall and in the spring she's still at 80%. I wonder why your's died over the winter? Maybe your winters are colder than mine. NJ.
Bob23

Shawn

Bob,

When I checked the battery it had self discharged down to 1v. On my slow charger(1.5 amp) it did recharge up to full voltage but did it in under a day. If the battery had full capacity that should have taken almost four days. Last weekend I ran my pressure water for about 15 minutes (flushing tank) and the battery had already dropped to 12v which is nearly discharged. It must be very sulfated which killed the capacity.

Shawn

crazycarl

i have a pulsating solar charger that claims to break down the sulfate and rejuvenate the battery.

i have an old ac/delco sealed battery that has been siting in the garage for 3 years.

it brought it back to around 90% capacity.

they also make an a/c pulse charger.

cheaper than replacing batteries.

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Shawn

Carl,

My solar charger is a 3 stage PWM charger as is the 1.5 amp slow charger. Unfortunately, the battery appears to be to far gone to get a usable capacity out of it. I was surprised it was able to recharge it at all considering how flat it was.

Shawn