News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP27 transients in my marina Enroute Bahamas/Abacos/then ???

Started by CaptK, November 23, 2005, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptK

Howdy 27 owners -

As I turned the corner by the ship store, on the way to my boat this evening, I saw a salty vessel tied up at the transient dock. The cove stripe was unmistakably Com-Pac, so, after I offloaded my gear onboard Katie Marie, I fired up the dinghy and putted over to introduce myself. As luck would have it, the Capt had just come on deck to check his lines before supper, so I introduced myself and was invited aboard.

The CP27 is an '89 model, hull #89, named SeaSmoke. She is staying in the marina over the holiday, before heading to Charleston and, if the weather cooperates, a jump across the Stream for the Bahamas.

Onboard are her Capt David Oliver, and crew David Boyd. Capt Oliver has plenty of experience aboard sailing vessels, while the crew is new to the whole thing. Both are having a blast. Capt O reports that his newly installed Rutland wind generator has been working fantastically.

I sat and chatted with them for a good 30 minutes or so, talking Com-Pac and destinations. They are basically just headed south towards warm weather, and will go where the wind blows them once they reach it. I put in a plug for a visit to Dick Crisler if the weather doesn't cooperate and they have to head that far south before jumping across.

While they don't have a computer or access onboard, I do have the skippers email address, so, if any of you would like to drop them an email, send me  Private Message via the board here, and I'll forward the info to you. I don't want to post the address in the clear, because of spammer scum email address harvesters. :)

Katie Marie back to channel 16... Out. ;)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

spaul

Capt K, thank you for the description and the politeness of a CP owner. We wish the 27 clear waters and smooth sailing.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
Steve Paul

Connie Meadows

Hi.  I have started gettting my Compac 27 ready to take off on for 6-9 months after next hurricane season.  I plan on heading down the Western Gulf Coast and heading over to the Bahamas.   Had the guys on their boat made upgrades such as larger fuel tank, holding tank, battery bank, solar panels etc?  I am wanting to do that over the next few months.  I am curious if I need to worry about balance etc, esp with the fuel tank increase.  Mine is currently just 10 gal and I would like to increase to 20-25 gal tank.  Any input on that?
I would appreciate getting their email address so I can get some travel info from them as well.
Thank you.
Pixie Dust

spaul

Hi Connie, I agree for your travel plans the 10 gal tank on your 27 seems small. There isn't a lot of room for a larger tank in it's place without crowding out the hot water heater (I assume you have one too). There is a lot of generous room in the laz storage so I was wondering if you would consider buying some portable tanks instead. Perhaps you could fabricate a wooden floor or something similar where they could be lashed down. You could hold several more gallons of fuel this way than increasing the size of your main tank. You also can balance your load as needed this way.
The holding tank is noticeably small I agree. I've looked at increasing the size of mine and found a plastic tank that I think would fit in place of the stock one. It had a curved side and was about 18-20 gals. You know of course that during part of your travels you can dump at sea legally. Problem with a larger holding tank is the position of the thru hulls next to the holding tank.
I think we'd all like to hear how you end up with this.
Regards and have a great trip.
Steve Paul
cp27/2
"IM PAUL SIVE"

CaptK

Connie -

I do know that they had installed the wind generator, about the rest I am really not sure, but I would guess that they increased water tankage substantially.

Just about every long-distance sailor/cruiser I have ever read seems to plan on 1 gallon of water per person per day. That would seem like a good rule of thumb. Perhaps collapsible portable water bladders would be a good way to go, you could install eyelets either in a locker, or on a bunk, and lash them in place that way. Having removable tanks may make tanking up easier, to, because instead of taking the boat to the water, you could take just the tanks to the water.

You could follow a similar plan with fuel tankage, using jerry cans. It might be a little more hassle to have/use jerry cans, but it is a cheap solution, and it will save you time and trouble versus installing a new integral tank.

Also, if balance is a concern, having both water and fuel in moveable tanks could aid in finding the best weight placement. When I first got her, my 23 had sat at the same shallow dock for at least 6 months. She was floating in a hollow that she'd "made" under her keel, and couldn't get out of it. By shifting all of my fuel and water tanks to one side, I was able to heel her enough to get her out of that spot, and underway. (Which was good, since there was noone else around, and I had a 150+ mile trip ahead of me to get her home. :))

I did not see solar panels on "Seasmoke", but I think that if you had panels and a "windmill" ;) you would be set as far as energy generation.

Are you doing this trip singlehanded? Sounds like you are going to have a blast. :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

PEggermann

connie,
Hey i think we met awhile back, i have the slip at the panama city marina #402.  I'm actually planning a similiar trip.  I'm getting out of the coast guard in nov. but i'm taking my earned leave starting in september.  Just 9 more months before i set off.  My plans were to hit the keys and the dry tortugas before heading up the east side of florida enroute to the bahamas.
As far as upgrading fuel/water/holding tanks, i'm planning on keeping it simple.  I'm gonna stick to carrying the extra jugs on board.  Not too worried about the holding tank as i rarely use it if you know what i mean.  The batteries are another story.  I have to replace my shaft packing because it drips enough to run the bilge pump which runs the battery down slow but steadily.  I've thought about solar panels but for now i just have a portable power booster with jumper cables.  Actually i haven't had to use it yet, but i have it just in case.  My biggest concerns for now are putting in an extra set of reef points on the main and refurbishing my headsail.  I have a spinnaker from another boat, but no hardware on my mast to hook it up.  I'm flying solo for most of my trip, but my dad will surely catch a ride at some point.  Keep in touch, maybe we'll see each other along the way.

Paul Eggermann
"Fiddler's Green"
compac 27/2

Connie Meadows

We did meet!!  My friend Jenny has a sailboat on Dock 2 at PCM, used to be a couple of slips down from you.  We need to chat!!  I need to get my cutless  bearing replaced too and I want to get another set of reefing points in the main.   Maybe we can compare notes.  I know what you are saying about the holding tank, but I understand it is an issue in the Keys.  Maybe we can get some input on that from others.   I would love to have a boat to occasionally hook up with since I too will be singlehanding.  I hope to have friends and family join me periodically.
My solar panel came in today.  :))  Now I have to figure out the best way to mount it.  I think it is going to have to go over the bimini.  I may have got a little carried away on size.
I was on PD from Tues before NY until this last Wed.   I actually came by your boat a couple of times to see if you were down.  I cannot believe you are planning the same adventure.  I would love to compare  notes and plans.   Congrats on completing your tour of duty.  That is great.  
When are you going to be back down to your boat?
Connie

spaul

Connie, I was just in the Keys vacationing. While I didn't have a chance to sail I met some sailor folks and learned a few things. In the Keys the 3 mile no discharge law goes to 9 miles offshore. So beware if you need to empty that tank you need to find a pump out or be more than 9 miles offshore.
Beautiful area and very shallow. Since the hurricane there are numerous new sholes and reefs. Seems the bottom has been re-arranged. Charts won't be updated for long time so call and be cautious in the Keys so you don't ground yourself.
Remember there are three rules to sailing.
1. Never run aground.
2. Never hit another boat.
3. No matter what your doing, " You must always look good doing it" !!!!

Steve
cp27/2
Nashville, IN

Connie Meadows

Hi Steve!  Welcome back from vacation.  
Great info.  I have read that there is a no over board law in the Keys and that you have to show some sort of locking so you don't accidently switch the Y valve to overboard.  :roll:  OOPS.   I did not realize it was 9 miles though.
Glad to know about all the changes.  I have a feeling that will be the case in the Bahamas too.  
I am glad you guys had a good time.  Sorry no sail, but it is always fun to meet fellow sailors.   I only got to get the boat out one time over N. Years. The fog was unrelenting.
As for your advice.... I love it.  I have already broke rule 1, came close to rule 2, I try hard on rule 3.   I guess 3  leaves out screaming like a mad woman, covering your eyes and shouting Oh @#$%^ when you are about to break rule #2.   :lol:
Have a great weekend!!   Instead of sailing, I am taking down all my Christmas Decorations.  :(
Connie

spaul

Hi Connie, we're glad to be back but will miss the warm weather. Actually, it's 50 degrees here in Indiana. Definately unseasonable weather for us. We enjoyed our vacation with our kids and it was wonderful. It was our Christmas present to all of them. Three grown children, 7 grandkids who are all wonderful. While already close, it brought us all closer together again. Worth every cent.
Yes, a locking Y valve is necessary for the holding system. You can have a key but it can't be defeated by anyone accidentally is the idea. Did you ever find a larger plastic holding tank that would fit in the lazarette? Seems 2 or 3X capacity could make a difference, especially if you find a way to overboard your liquid waste vs. the solid. Then a pumpout would be more cost effective and less frequent. Or, you can put the waste in the US Mail, mail it fragil and put a large return address on it. YOu'll never see it again...  :) tongue in cheek no pun.
Look forward to hearing about your travels, please keep a diary for us.
Steve

Connie Meadows

I printed out some of the measurements for the holding tanks.  I am pretty sure one will work.  I worked on some other boat projects last week and did not get a chance to compare the shapes and measurements.  I think I would like an 18 gal. The site is saved under "Favorites"  
Work in progress right now is figuring out the mounting of my new solar panel.  I think I am going to mount in over the bimini.  I have all this yr. to get the boat ready to go not to mention the extra little cruising kitty to stash.  My plan is to leave right after Christmas.   Family is wonderful and I cannot imagine heading out and missing Christmas with my boys and grandbaby.  Those are such special moments and I cannot get enough of the little one.  
I will keep you posted and I am sure I will have other questions to post as the boat projects roll out.  
Take care
Connie

PEggermann

Connie,
Sailed past your boat a few days ago, looks great.  I was taking the odd chance you might be onboard working or something, oh well.  Sounds like i might be starting out a few months earlier on my trip.  We definitely need to meet up and talk, i am especially interested in how you hook up your solar panels. As far as my holding tank, what i meant was i don't let people use is it unless it is an emergency. I'm lazy, i don't like to have to clean all that much. I still believe my 7 gallon tank will be sufficient for myself.  I plan on pulling in alot down the coast, not mooring up alot as that would obviously be to expensive.  I'm planning on finding a new place to live somewhere down south, so i will be exploring alot of different areas.  I going to check out the price on adding new reefing points and reconditioning my sails today.  I'll let you know what they say.  

Paul Eggermann
s/v Fiddler's Green
27/2