a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Solar Panel/Gas Tank Cover

Started by Vipersdad, May 29, 2013, 02:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

I am in the process of doing some measuring to possibly mount a solar panel on the top of my outboard gas tank cover.  I am planning to mount it with some rubber spacers under the corners of the panel to leave airspace for cooling.  Has anyone else used this surface for a panel?

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

NateD

I would image the shadow from the tiller would kill your panel efficiency.

From: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&page=Charging-with-Solar-Panels#.UaZJm5wtVA4

Shadows covering even a tiny fraction of the panel have a dramatic impact on power output, especially for crystalline panels. Shaded cells show a large voltage drop that acts as a barrier to useful power production, and shading a single cell on a panel can cut its output by 20% or more. Shading two or more cells effectively turns off the panel until the shadow is removed.

Vipersdad

Good point.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Salty19

I'm no solar panel wizard, but have read about them quite a bit and agree with Nate.
Since the tiller is so close to the locker lid, chances are good it will see a shade "stripe" for most of the earth's rotation.
If it was higher, it would only block part of the time.

There might be a way to mount it OVER the tiller while away from the boat then move it down on the fuel locker cover when sailing (just to get it out of hte way).  Extendable/folding legs or the like...just a thought.

Another thought..some of the newer panels are less effected by shadows/blocking.  I don't recall the exact type, but seem to remember reading about cutoff circuitry for cells that are at low voltage (due to shade or bad voltaic cells).

Another idea is a concave or angled flat mirror assembly on either side to fill in the shade with indirect reflected light. That seems complicated and fragile..but an idea nonetheless.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603