a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Where is the bulkhead drain hole?

Started by breezy, May 21, 2013, 05:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breezy

Boat this 1980 compac boat. Was replacing the center part of the sole.
Living in Florida , water got into the boat. Mostly accumulated in the center cabin area.

Lifted the boat high to get water to run to lazerette area against the transom. Very little water flowed that way.
Water was stopped by rear bulkhead. Called Hutchins and was told there is not connection between rear bulkhead and lazerette.
Reading your posts it appears that has to be a connection between the bulkhead and the lazerette.
Am tempted to drill a hole in bulkhead.

Please somebody enlighten me.

skip1930

What kind of Com-Pac boat are we talking about?

There is no drain hole on my CP-19. At the end of the quarter births, are 'bulkheads that are fiber glassed into the hull.
No water past these unless something is amiss. There are no 'mid-section' floorboards above the bottom of the boat. Just a carpet glued to cement and fiberglass.

Laying on any quarter birth and with my head facing the stern I can wiggle my way all the way to the transom.

If water needs to be removed from the inside of my boat;
Bilge pump it out,
Bail it out.
Sponge it out and ring it into a bucket. Toss the bucket of water onto the cock pit sole and let the scuppers take care of it.
Vacuum it out.

skip.

breezy

That is pretty much the only way.

However, if you look at previous posts relating to water in cabin, they tell you to lift the boat towards stern and scoop it out from underneath lazerette.
That means water can pass the rear bulkhead.

I am puzzled alright.
Thanks for your reply.

MaritimeElevation

On my '81 CP-16 the bulkhead in the lazerette is only a couple of inches tall with open area above it connecting into the cabin. If several gallons of water were in the boat it could flow over the bulkhead and into the lazerette once the boat and trailer were tilted to the stern.

The first time I launched the boat I spent time at the dock checking for leaks. I discovered the common leak through the transom through old caulk around the cockpit drain tubes. I was glad that there was no drain hole through the bulkhead as the water was contained to the lazerette and I could easily sponge out the cup of water that collected every 30 minutes or so. Thanks to the short bulkhead the rest of the cabin and the bunk cushions stayed dry.
'81 CP-16 #1385

MKBLK

Please see my post in "Keeping the boat dry".

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch