a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

auto pilots

Started by MacGyver, May 02, 2013, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I am pondering a auto helm/ tiller setup.
Either Simrad or Ray marine ST1000 or the 2000

Any experience with one of these or a different one on the 19?

Just thinking it might be nice to have on occasion to assist when single handing and etc

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Shawn

Mac,

I have the ST2000+ on my 23, very handy. The ST1000 would have been big enough for the 23 but I went with the 2000 as it responds a little quicker and I think has lower power draw due to the drive mechanism (rack and pinion vs. screw drive).

Very handy for single handing. When motoring you point into the wind and then have the autopilot hold that heading which makes raising/lowering sails really easy. If the wind is relatively light (and steady) I have had it hold a course while sailing as I changed the headsail or put up a spinnaker. It can also be really nice to just have the autopilot steer while you are having snack/lunch, or while trimming sails, or just sight seeing.

They have a tack function where they will turn the boat through 100 degrees so it will deal with the tiller while you handle the sails. If you have a NMEA compatible GPS you can also tie that into the autopilot to keep you on a track. If the GPS outputs cross track error the autopilot will correct for that as well. With a compatible wind instrument they can keep you a set number of degrees off the wind.

Shawn

brackish

Mac,

I installed a Raymarine ST1000 a couple of years ago on my 23.  It was some of the best boat bucks I've spent.  As a retiree, I'm able to sail singlehanded in the middle of the work week when my working friends can't go with me.  I can do it without, but it is SOOO much easier with it.  I primarily use it for light air sailing, particularly down wind, and for motoring while I'm raising or lowering sails, and stowing gear and preparing the boat to dock or to eat lunch.  I rarely use it on a reach in high gusty winds, and in my opinion it is not reactive enough for that.  That said, I think it can be "taught" to anticipate.  Mine is hooked up to my GPS and I'm told I can use it to do a waypoint course, although I've never used that feature.  I think Shawn knows a lot about all these features.

The Simrad, at least when I looked at them cost less but had fewer features.

When I bought mine, Ultimate Passage had the best delivered price.

NateD

I love the ST1000 on my 23, previous owner installed it so I didn't do any research between Raymarine and Simrad. I like to single hand a lot, and it makes life so much easier. I use it in all wind conditions (except extremely strong conditions when the weather helm is too much for the unit to handle), and it probably steers the boat 50-60% of the time I have sails up, and closer to 75% of the time that I am motoring. I love putting the thing on and sitting back and relaxing (or putzing around the boat).

philb Junkie19

Ease of installation on a 19 is something you might consider. I don't know how dimenions of differnt makes may vary. The pilot should be level and square to the tiller at a distance that alows the throw to be equal port and starboard with the right distance from the rudder pivot point. I have a Simrad TP-10 that I like. Set up was straight forward on my previous boat. Set the socket in the cockpit seat, with a wood block under and set the pin in the tiller at the prescribed distances and it was good to go. When I installed it on the 16 it required a way overpriced bracket to mount the pin under the tiller and a socket on the side deck /coaming that was a just barely. Sometimes rod extensions are needed and they are not cheap either.  Installations instructions with measurements are online for the tp10 and probably for others. Be even better if someone on this site has experience with a tiller pilot on the 19.   

ribbed_rotting_rusting

Mac, I too have looked at autotillers. I read the practical sailor article on them in which their basic outlook was that the simrad had a higher amp draw and was louder though a little quicker than the ST 1000. Their basic outlook was that the simrad was 1-150 dollars cheaper. Not so any more, as a quick google will show. Ultimate Passage does indeed show the lowest price on the ST 1000+. And thanks again on the repair advice. Mike
http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/35_6/features/Entry-Level-Tillerpilots_5788-1.html

MacGyver

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will go for the ST1000, but will wait a while, as I think it best I gather more sailing experience and see how the foiled rudder works out. That may fix the issues I had last year maybe or tracking, etc when I went forward and such.

I also would like to see a 19 with one actually on it, to see what the operation looks like, etc. this will give me time to look at that so maybe 2014 might be the year for one......

They look to be better suited to singlehanding, but I am sure come in handy when the wife is just sittin taking it easy and the guy is running around doing whatever is needed...... :)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vipersdad

I would like to see a photo of how the blocking/shimming needs to be done on CP 19/II to line everything up.

Can anyone provide one?

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984