News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP16: will a 2-HP Honda outboard with a short shaft work?

Started by rdwalker, May 12, 2013, 10:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdwalker

Hi, all, sorry if this is a repeat topic - I did not find any references.

I have been scouring local ads for a small gas outboard for my CP-16. I came across a 2HP Honda 4-stroke, which is highly recommended here.

Unfortunately, it is a short shaft version, 16" versus the 22-in long shaft. I know that the longer version is recommended, but:
Will the short shaft motor work?

Thanks in advance!  Robert.

JBC

Short shaft will work.  I use a short shaft 2 1/2 Suzuki on my 16 and it works well.  Keep in mind that walking up to the bow (if you are alone) may pull the prop out of the water.  Also, depending on where you sail, rolling waves may also momentarily do the same.  Otherwise, I have no problem with mine (I sail lakes only) so long as I pay attention to the weight issue on board to keep the prop (and in my case, the water intake for the water pump) in the water.  My manual from ComPac Yachts even mentions a short shaft motor for the 16/III.

BTW, I've used both a long shaft/short shaft, and one advantage to the latter is it is much easier to tilt the motor completely out of the water so as not to drag the prop when sailing, especially when several are aboard.

Jett

nies

I agree with JBC, I have a regular/short shaft 6 hp Merc which works great. Longer shaft is only needed when the motor is mounted a lot higher on transom than  on the 16................nies

rdwalker

MHardy

I have the Honda 2-hp short shaft on my 16. No issues, except for the "no reverse" thing.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

rdwalker

Quote from: MHardy on May 13, 2013, 07:00:43 PM
I have the Honda 2-hp short shaft on my 16. No issues, except for the "no reverse" thing.

But you can "flip" that motor to be able to back out the boat, right?

Thanks!

Pacman

I have a Honda 2 HP long shaft with a taller motor mount board.

That allows the prop to be at the correct depth with the power head high enough to clear the transom for easy 360 degree operation for tight quarters and backing up.

With a standard motor mount board the short shaft will be fine.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile