Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hummingbird 400 Tx install

Started by high tide is up, May 14, 2013, 09:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

high tide is up

Hey everybody,

Ok one of the last things i would like to do with my boat is install the depth finder.  It has a transducer that I need ideas on where to mount for sure on the back of the transom.  Where would you put the display screen and would you put the battery up by the compression post???

Give me your thoughts and ideas guys!!!  Y'all haven't steered me wrong yet...

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

mikew

Dawn, I installed a similar unit on my cp-16, the transducer came with a bracket to mount it to the transom, but I decided not to mount it there.
The 16's transom has a core of plywood and I didn't want any holes below the waterline. The transducer will still work without drilling any holes by
placing it below the waterline inside the hull  and bonding it so the sound pulses shoot " through the hull". My transducer is bonded to the flat part of the hull in the lazarette area near one of the PVC drain pipes. I used a temporary glob of non-hardening "duck seal" putty ,(available in hardware stores) about 3/8" thick, and pushed the unit into this to the hull. It works very well mounted like this; for a more permanent mount glue the bottom of the transducer to the hull with slow drying epoxy or silicone glue ( RTV.), just try to eliminate air bubbles in the glue.
My display is mounted to a hinged wood piece just inside the companionway hatch edge, but for a simpler mount screw it into the wood compression post inside the cabin. My battery is mounted in the forward area in front of the post.

Mike    

high tide is up

Thanks Mike...thats the kind of ideas I'm looking for,,,,, :)