a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16 boom mounting

Started by rdwalker, May 12, 2013, 11:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdwalker

Hi, all, I have 2 questions about the boom on a CP-16.

1. How to you lock the boom to the mast? The Hutchins Handbook shows the boom gooseneck pulled down by the downhull cleat mounted at the foot of the mast. My boat has just a wimpy-looking jam cleat. Is that enough?
Also, just below the boom gooseneck and above the jam cleat there is a threaded bolt sticking out of a slug floating in the mast. What's that?

2.  How about attatching the boom topping lift line? Hutchins Handbook shows the lift attached to a tang of the mainsheet butterfly. No such thing on my boat. Is the eyelet on top of boom end sufficient?

TIA, Robert.

JBC

I'll try for #1.  The jam cleat probably is sufficient for a downhaul on the 16.  Fairly easy to change if you think it's too wimpy.  The bolt/slug could be there as a boom stop to prevent the boom from hitting the jam cleat directly, or it could be a sail slugs retainer (if you have slides/slugs on your main instead of a rope luff).  In that case, simply loosen and move the slug/bolt above the boom sail slot when putting the boom gooseneck in the mast; then you'll be able to drop it back below the slot until you raise the sail, and back up above the slot to keep the slides from falling out when lowering the main.

JTMeissner

Robert, I'd agree with JBC on the cleat and that the bolt is missing the knurled nut to be a good slug stop.

For #2, yes, you could hook a topping lift to that eyelet; cast into the end it's plenty strong.  I've used it, running a topping lift to an eyebolt I put at the top of the mast since like you I don't have a tang.  However, it can interfere with raising the sail when rigged as such.

I have a slightly different main sheet connector, it has an eyelet for the main sheet pulley and another eyelet on the opposite end of the tang (wish I had a picture).  Basically, the tang has three holes, an eyelet at each end and the hole in the middle for the bolt through the casting.  Probably why it's called a butterfly, two opposing wings.  Anyway, if the topping lift is connected there, it allows one to use the roller reefing with the topping lift connected.  Otherwise, no spinning of the boom.  Also, there's no way to change that bolt system without removing the casting by taking the rivets out.  I did just that in an attempt to tighten the butterfly, but the bolt isn't fully threaded so it was all for naught.  I put it back on an re-riveted through the original holes.

Back to the question, the boom end eyelet does work for a topping lift but takes away roller reefing. 

-Justin

mikew

Bob, to secure the downhaul, my Cp-16 uses a similar cleat as the halyards. It is mounted below the gooseneck  ( 7" from the mast end ) and seems to be screwed into an aluminum tube which rides in the mast luff slot. This is probably how your v-jam cleat is mounted now. To hold the boom in an "upper position" when the mainsail is not raised, I just take the down haul line from the lower cleat, raise the boom and tie it off to one of the higher halyard cleats. I would probably remove that threaded bolt too.
JT answered the topping lift question which is the same as mine.

Mike  

InertBert

Quote from: rdwalker on May 12, 2013, 11:31:04 PM
Hi, all, I have 2 questions about the boom on a CP-16.

1. How to you lock the boom to the mast? The Hutchins Handbook shows the boom gooseneck pulled down by the downhull cleat mounted at the foot of the mast. My boat has just a wimpy-looking jam cleat. Is that enough?
Also, just below the boom gooseneck and above the jam cleat there is a threaded bolt sticking out of a slug floating in the mast. What's that?

2.  How about attatching the boom topping lift line? Hutchins Handbook shows the lift attached to a tang of the mainsheet butterfly. No such thing on my boat. Is the eyelet on top of boom end sufficient?

My downhaul has a loop that I slip over the cleat at the base of the mast.  I've sailed around a few hours and decided that I need a flatter sail, only then to realize that the loop wasn't secured.  The weight and tension of the boom kept the sail reasonably flat.  Nothing on a CP16 is under very high tension, if that jam cleat holds the boom down against the halyard tension, then go with it.

As far as the boom goes, you might want to try something like a snap link and clip it to the lower eyelet on the butterfly(where your mainsheet attaches) so that you can still rotate the boom.  I have "unique" preferences to rigging sometimes but a topping lift seems like a universally enjoyed luxury when raising your mainsail.  Maybe other people are doing it different, but without it, I can't imagine it is anything but clumsy or a two person job.  

rdwalker

All,

thanks for the replies.
I find it interesting that there are so many variations on the fittings and rigging - even cabin interior - within the same model of the ComPac.