News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

NEED SOME RECOMMENDATIONS ON FIXING A KEEL LEAK.

Started by breezy, May 12, 2013, 02:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breezy

Boat was bought as a project. Did not really pay much, but boat has several good things I was interested in. Owned previous larger sail boats and like to tinker with them.
The problem is this, in the process of replacing sole area over keel noticed quite a bit of greenish water. This made me suspicious, because I had questioned the presence of water and was told it was rain. Rain is not green in Florida.

The keel has been epoxied quite a bit. Decided to do some sanding. While doing this, discovered water escaping from a 1/4" long crack in one area and from a 1/16" hole in another place.
My question is: How to dry out the keel expeditiously, and how to repair these places.
Would drilling a shallow tiny hole in the bottom of keel help?
Should I open up the holes some more by dishing them out, use a fabric or fiberglass patch impregnated with epoxy to plug them?

Any suggestions, recommendations from previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Read most posts concerning keel leaks but did not get any detailed answers. Thank you.

MacGyver

;) Right in my field of work.

Since you are replacing the sole, I am guessing the original is tore out?
If so, awesome, the concrete is exposed.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the keel, a couple would do nicely. just go through the glass, enough to allow the water to come out.

Add a dehumidifier into the boat and turn it on high to pull the most moisture you can. Empty frequently, and keep the boat closed up as much as possible.

When the moisture is pretty well gone, then sand with 40 grit the bottom of the keel, and fill the holes with West System 105/205 and 404 filler, sand smooth.
Add Glass to build the bottom of the keel out, covering the holes. Then more layers the better, and stagger layers if using standard glass.
this will build the bottom of the keel well, and repair the holes and make it a solid repair. Follow up with Interlux 2000, using several coats, like 5 or 6.  Prior to Interlux 2000, you can sand with 40 grit, it will hide with 2000.

The top of the sole needs to be sanded with 40 grit, cleaned and then area reglassed properly to keep water out.

Lastly, inspect the keel for other damages and be sure to seal them up. This will protect the Ballast efficiently.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Pacman

Quote from: MacGyver on May 12, 2013, 02:27:10 PM
;) Right in my field of work.

Since you are replacing the sole, I am guessing the original is tore out?
If so, awesome, the concrete is exposed.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the keel, a couple would do nicely. just go through the glass, enough to allow the water to come out.

Add a dehumidifier into the boat and turn it on high to pull the most moisture you can. Empty frequently, and keep the boat closed up as much as possible.

When the moisture is pretty well gone, then sand with 40 grit the bottom of the keel, and fill the holes with West System 105/205 and 404 filler, sand smooth.
Add Glass to build the bottom of the keel out, covering the holes. Then more layers the better, and stagger layers if using standard glass.
this will build the bottom of the keel well, and repair the holes and make it a solid repair. Follow up with Interlux 2000, using several coats, like 5 or 6.  Prior to Interlux 2000, you can sand with 40 grit, it will hide with 2000.

The top of the sole needs to be sanded with 40 grit, cleaned and then area reglassed properly to keep water out.

Lastly, inspect the keel for other damages and be sure to seal them up. This will protect the Ballast efficiently.

Mac

+1.  MacGyver has it exactly right!

Do what he said and your troubles will be over.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile