News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tested Penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts.

Started by skip1930, January 12, 2013, 12:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

Machinist's Workshop Mag recently published some information on various penetrating oils that was very interesting. Some of you might appreciate this. The magazine reports they tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oils .......... Average torque load to loosen*

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds

WD-40 .......................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ..................... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds

Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds [ This is skips favorite to use on 82 year old Ford Model 'A's. ]

ATF*-Acetone mix...........53 pounds [ Looks intersting ]

The ATF-Acetone mix is a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note this "home brew" released bolts better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is almost as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. Steve from Godwin-Singer says that ATF-Acetone mix is best, but you can also use ATF and lacquer thinner in a 50-50 mix. *ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

skip.

Brac said, " Bob, that was the plan.  In the picture I had finished all but under the bunks and keel rollers and I was ready to drop the bunks.  When I started turning the first hex head machine screw that locks the bunks in place it twisted off with very little pressure.  So I went to plan B, put a couple of jacks under the keel and lifted it up enough to get under the bunks and keel rollers.  One of these days I'll have to easy out that broken bolt. "

Heat! Just a hand held torch and a bottle of propane or butane, get her as hot as possible, squirt some gizzem in there and heat some more. Gentle apply a little 'hurt' back and forth slowly. Don't really force nothing. I know it's hot dipped galvanized and that actually will enhance [ pull the penetrate into the threads. ] with the heating/expanding/cooling/heating...'don't tighten bolts up so much you squeeze the water out of them'

Ctrl key held down, tap the + key to enlarge chart. Hold and hit - to shrink.

brackish

Great info Skip.  Going to try that mix of ATF and acetone.  I used to keep a quart of ATF around for cleaning the carbon deposit out of those big V8's that never got to run hot as they needed to stay clean.  Pour a quart into your carb real slow then stall it and let sit and soak.  But with smaller motors not really necessary.  But those other alternatives are much more expensive per ounce than the homebrew.

Ted

I used the ATF and acetone mix on my trailer a month back. Worked like a charm!!

THANKS!
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat