News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How do you get the little "buttons" on the hand rail nuts off ?

Started by bfelton, April 04, 2013, 06:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfelton

How do you get the little white "buttons" on the hand rails off without breaking them?  I am trying to track down leaks and I need to remove the hand rails among other things.

Thanks in advance,

Bert Felton

SpeakEasy

This sounds like it might be the same thing as my black "buttons" that I had to remove in order to remove my teak handrails. Are these buttons inside the cabin? If they're the same things, I used a very thin putty knife to pry them off. They come off pretty easily - unless you pinch them a bit. It's much too easy to pinch them, so watch yourself. If you can get your blade underneath them without pinching them, they'll pop right off. If you pinch them, you'll reduce the diameter of their open side, and they won't come off.

-Speak

cavie

I found it easier to just replace them all. matching them is tuff. Good hardware store will have them.

MacGyver

I had a hell of a time on mine......I will be putting cap nuts and fender washers in their places.
You can buy them from Hutchins for about  10 cents a piece or something like that....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

EclipseGuy

I have removed those buttons as well.

At first I tried doing it without damaging them but I found it was much easier just to pop them off and not worry about if they get damaged or marked up. They are quite inexpensive and it is just easier to buy new ones. I bought a bag of them from the local marina store.

In the end I decided to forgo the buttons and just use cap nuts (or acorn nuts). The Cap nuts look better in my opinion, and they are much easier to work with.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.