a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Stanchion diameter

Started by marc, March 07, 2013, 01:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

Salty, I've got a split rail too. Guess there's only 1 more boat to be accounted for. My boat didn't come with the aft lifeline either.

As for the furling blocks, I've decided to go with Spinlock. The SpiWL/2 is the lead block and I believe there is adequate adjustment to get the angle right from the drum to the pulpit stanchion. I'll use the WL1 on the other stanchions. Here is what they look like:
http://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/category/1-Spinlock-Furling-Line-Leads.html
A good picture showing the adjustment of the Spinlock WL2 is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spinlock-WL-2-Stanchion-Lead-/160734392655
The only problem is that they are made only for 1" diameter tubes. I'm planning to put a wrap of rigging tape over the tube before I mount the spinlocks on my pulpit to take up the extra space.
Marc

Salty19

Marc, Yes those look identical to ours.  Nice, aren't they!  What hull # is your 19?

And what is up with that mast crutch! ;D ;D
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

marc

Salty, Hull number is 610. Just got the boat last fall so I've only sat on it in my driveway. The mast crutch came from the last owner. It works for transport and winter storage but now you got me thinking about what I'll be doing on the water if I want to lower the mast - say to change a bulb or halyard. What works for you?
Marc

Salty19

Cool...we are hull #603, so close cousins.

I don't drop the mast on the water. With a furler, too much to deal with.  If I need to drop the mast, I would pull it out of the lake...so far haven't had to do this.

Salty19

Quote from: kickingbug1 on March 14, 2013, 05:59:13 PM
    boy thats a pretty 16 next to your 19. wonder where the guy got the idea for the gas tank location?

That is a pretty 16, Kicknbug.  Too bad the Captain hangs out with all those crazy CLR Compac-anauts.  ;

For all you guys that are wondering, yes, that's Kicknbug's 16 to the left in my pic.  8)

BTW, Marc..I was just messing with you ( I do that from time to time).  Somehow, I knew you didn't design it.
We use a 2x6 sitting on the seats with a raised "field goal"to keep the mast steady.  I notched out the wood on the aft side to fit into the inner vertical rails, installed wood-to-machine screws into the wood (machine screws sticking out on either side of the notch), then small plates of steel...old CP16 chainplates actually, which lay on the aft side of the rail secured to the machine screw/studs with wingnuts. Takes a minute or so to install and remove and it's easy to check tightness at road stops.

Also..really like the color of your boat, something about a dark blue hull!  Your boat is somewhat rare--stern rail seats, XL, and dark blue hull.

marc

Salty,
Good info on your mast crutch. That set up is much sturdier than what I currently have and I'll do something similar. The hull color looks good from 20 feet away. Unfortunately a previous owner was too aggressive with all forms of cleaning/upkeep. Lots of the gelcoat is gone from rubbing compound gone wild. The wood was attacked with a sander and that scratched the adjacent gelcoat. But from 20 feet away - not bad.