a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sails...

Started by JohnMoore, March 29, 2006, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnMoore

What is the sail area of the standard sails on a 1990 Compac 23D (Main + Jib). How much more sail area do you get with a roller furling Genoa. Where can I get sail cheap sails for a CP23D? Can you fly a spinnaker on a CP23D. Is there a boom vang included in the standard equipment? Just bought a CP23D 1990 and wanted to know how it comes with the standard setup. Only have a main and I believe a 155% Genoa. Appreciate any help.

John
Sandpiper
Compac 23D

jhansen1951

John,
I may not be much help with all your questions but I think I can help with one of them.  My new/old boat came with two standard jibs.  One of them is for a CP-23 and one for a Catalina 22.  They are identical.  Unless there was a change in jib size between 1979 and 1990, you can get a Catalina jib and you will have a genny and a standard.  Since Catalina 22's are everywhere, used sails are usually cheaper than those specifically for the CP-23.

John

Windhawk

A chute is a $795 option on a new CP-23.  If you don't mind the extra work, I think it might be a good idea.  I have a 150% genoa, and when running, things seem a little bit too slow.  I don't have the dimensions handy, but about 250 sq. feet +/- 8 or 10 feet is correct.  I bought mine last year, and they were Air Force sails, which you may be aware has gone out of business.  I don't know who they are using now.