a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Difference in various CP19 models

Started by Ted, December 03, 2012, 09:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I am hunting for my next boat which I hope to be a CP19. I am getting emails from some sellers and am wondering if anybody here knows the differences between the various models of CP19's made over the years. For example, somebody has just written me about a "Mark III."

Perhaps there is a listing here somewhere already - I couldn't find one.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

skip1930

Tons of info. Go through the General Listings on the home page and read about the Com Pac 19's.
Mines an XL. One newer then the MkIII.

Hull colors kind of a cream up to a white fiberglass color with later models.

Early cream colored MkI with bow sprit kit added. Early MKI, no bow sprit.

Newer XL on inside. This fiberglass liner lets ports stick out more past cabin walls. Older MKI, MKII, MKIII type outside. Ports on models with wood sourrounding the inside of the cabins at the porthole level do pull the ports in and nearly flush with the outside of the cabin.

MacGyver

I just confirmed with my wife we have a MK3

It has teak inside, whereas the XL has a white gelcoat insert.
the ceiling on boat is white gelcoat.

From what I have seen, the MK3 also has a hatch, BOMAR, shaded plexi, aluminum frame. cost about 300 to 600 to replace if it is bad, in the front, whereas the XL has a fiberglass hatch.
The big deal I see there is sometimes people will cut a hole in the BOMARs for a solar vent. That can lead to a weight bearing issue.

One might stand on that, and the Bomar I am pretty sure can be stood upon, but we dont, we straddle it, just cause I dont know for sure......

If done in a Fiberglass setup, doesnt seem to be a issue.

Go throught the CP 19 section, you will gain a ton of information looking into 19s, and also, somewhere there is a thing that has some more info about this topic.

There is something about the windows as skip1930 has stated above, but to me that is a minor difference, compared to some of the more larger changes.

I prefer the fiberglass front hatch, but certainly like the ability to have a little sun light up front.  :)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

carry-on

Ted,
If you go to sailingtexas.com, find the gallery and you will be able to see many 19s that were listed over the years including the last built #624 which sold in California about this time last year.
I think the bow sprit which came along about 1987 was a significant change and if you can find a resale with a foiled rudder, that is a significant improvement.
About 1987 the pulpit changed from aluminum to stainless...somewhat cosmetic but stronger and easier to keep.
Good luck with the hunt.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Tim Gardner

The 19 II's all had the bowsprit and stainless pulpit and stern-rails.  My '85, Andiamo! (formerly S'go means the same but has Italian flair) is #323. 

There are many threads re this subject - Do a search.

Regards, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

"...whereas the XL has a fiberglass hatch."

May be but; Hull 588, a CP-19 XL, is factory fitted with a black [shaded] forward hatch with aluminium black anodised surround and one arm with locking mechanism to hold it open any amount of space [crack]. Yes, don't stand on it. I have my solar panel mounted to it off set on rubber cane tips for cooling air to flow beneath the solar panel as per instructions.

The XL does have a sliding companionway hatch that is not 'fiberglass inside white' but rather painted factory grey on the inside.
I took the hatch off and applied three coats of gloss white polyurethane over the grey and put her back together.

Additionally the drop board is cut horizontially on a 45 degree to drain rain and for better storage with two smaller pieces. These pieces make a great cock pit table for cutting cheese and laying out lunch. These are also painted white on the inside.
One can hang just the top board and not use the bottom for sun shade when inside, or just use the bottom board and have the top open with the hatch open or closed.

It's all about comfort & joy. skip.