a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacement Cushions

Started by Sedona Don, February 01, 2013, 11:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedona Don

I want to replace all of the cabin cushions in my CP23 and add cockpit cushions.  Any suggestions regarding a reputable source to have them fabricated?

Don Schaefer
Sedona, AZ
Luna - CP23D
ComPac 23D - Luna

brackish

Don, are you planning to reuse the foam in the cabin or replace?  When I recovered the cabin cushions on my last boat, I took them to a local upholstery shop, people who recover furniture and asked them for an opinion on my foam.  They indicated it was fine, just needed covering.  I bought some fabric locally and they sewed up the new cushions.  Those cushions had vinyl on the bottom and they reused that.  I think that came out with a much better cost than sending them off or trying to order from afar.

Glenn Basore

Don,

I wanted to have some cushions made for my Eclipse cockpit , every placed I contacted wanted a lot of money and I wasn't happy with how they were going to make them using a cheap foam and canvass material, I contacted Gerry H and got the original cushions at or near the price it would have cost to have them made.  I got them in a few days and I couldn't be happier.

Glenn B.

NateD

My 23 came with a full set (6) of Bottomsiders cockpit cushions. There is no material, you just scrub them down every month or so, made out of dense foam that floats. I just checked their website, about $1,000 for the full set.

DougN

Don,I had mine redone about eight years ago at a marine canvas and upolstery shop in St.Clair Shores Mi(Detroit).They were able to reuse the foam.The fabric,vinyl bottoms,new zippers and fasteners were all high end marine grade.The owner,being a friend of a friend,gave me the materials at cost(less the 15% mark-up) he also gave me a break on labor because it being winter work was slow.I have a '83 CP23 so there are 7 interior cushions.The craftmanship and quality of materials were excelent.The bill came to $1,600.Hope this is helpful as a starting point for you.

Sedona Don

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am not very impressed with the quality of the foam in the existing cabin cushions but think that I will take them to a local upholstery shop and get their opinion before I decide whether to replace entirely.
ComPac 23D - Luna

millsy

When we replaced the cushions on our 23 we went in to a big-city upholstery shop (Pensacola in this case) and "tried out" all of the different foams.  There are many different densities of foam, in different thicknesses, and nothing beats stretching out on a piece.  Like our earlier boat, we purchased the foam in bulk and patterned it with heavy paper and cut it out with an electric carving knife.  We had the covers themselves proff made, but saved some money by purchasing and cutting the foam.
Chris
C23
"Dolce"