a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rope locker leaks

Started by blighhigh, October 13, 2013, 08:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blighhigh

I have recently noticed that the locker behind the head compartment fills with water.  Likely causes are the hawse hole, mast tabernacle through the deck or a hull deck problem.  My question is whether this is a problem anyone else has faced.  It seems as though the rope locker doesn't drain to the outside of the boat. Is this a standard situation?  Do the lockers drain to the bilge or maybe they are blocked and I haven't noticed it? I was thinking of trying a mast boot around the mast tabernacle on deck.  I checked the hawse cap and I guess that I could seal it better but I like to have an anchor ready to launch for an emergency.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Craig

I have had a similar problem. The sealing problem appears to be at the mast. I use a product from Ace Hardware called Rope Caulk which is used to seal around windows. It is sticky with the consistency of modeling clay. Comes in a roll and is very inexpensive. Just unwind an appropriate length and press firmly around the mast. Has a lot of elasticity so the "working" of the mast does not break the seal. It is very uv resistant and lasts for years. Can be removed and replaced easily if needed. Also make sure you seal the sail track in mast stub where it meets the deck. You may want to use regular caulking compound there(Avoid silicone caulk!) but the rope caulk can be formed into a lump and pressed into the track. Rope caulk can also be used as a temporary semi adhesive to keep stuff from sliding around(sort of like Stik-Tac). Has many other uses. I keep a roll on the boat at all times. ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

blighhigh

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried using a caulk around the mast but the flexing of the mast under sail broke the seal.