a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boat Shoes

Started by carry-on, December 05, 2012, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

When I launch and recover my 16,solo, from the trailer, my feet/shoes are in the water. Topsiders get heavy and stay wet all day, not too comfortable colder weather.
I've worn Skele-toes a few times, good traction on the ramp and in the boat, but they black mark the deck.
Any experience with Skele-toes type foot protection that does not mark the boat?
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

skip1930

Get some Nike pool shoes.
Mesh and dry fast.

skip.

Saluki86

My wife gets these at wholesale prices so this is what I wear.  Not the prettiest thing but.....  Also have a non-marking sole.

http://www.rei.com/product/828474/merrell-rapid-glove-water-shoes-mens,-moss/lime-zest?preferredSku=8284740015&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8284740015&mr:referralID=1c706b53-3ef0-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

I have the same problem launching my 16.  Dont even try to stay dry.  I also wear those pants with the zip off legs.

sailen69

Depending what the season is depends what I have on my feet.  Through most of the season I wear Sperry Top Siders.  Sandals and shorts while on the boat ramp and sailing.  The sandals get wet, dry quickly, don't mark the boat, and get good grip on dry or wet.  In the cooler weather I may use shorts and sandals at the ramp and change into pants and boat shoes. I have a pair of hip waders for when the waters get on the cool to cold side.  I usually try and sail until temps get into the freezing temps and start back in the earliest part of the year.  I have picked up some nice foul weather gear and sailing boots for the colder weather I sail in.   

Salty19

Fishing waders are your easy answer.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

For a long time I resisted the temptation to get a pair of CROCS, too expensive I thought.

Well, I finally broke down and got a pair some time ago and it was the best decision I've made in a long time. As boat shoes, not only are they quite comfortable on my feet with the built-in cushioning of the rubber like material, but I can keep them on when retreiving my Sun Cat, no longer having to change shoes or go barefoot (dangerous) in the otherwise "wet" operation. The swiveling heel strap, normally kept forward out of the way on land, serves well to keep them on my feet when moving about the boat or in the water with the trailer.

I find myself wearing them a lot down here in SW Florida.

capt_nemo

Koinonia

http://www.zhik.com/ProductList.aspx?element=61&category=1

These work out great.  They can be ordered from west marine though theyre not in the catalog.  Now for my personal experience, traction on a gel coat surface like a boat is way better than sperry.  I wear them as a water shoe when we go to FL but primarily I wear them on my Santana 20 when racing.  If its super windy and the boat is everywhere im fully comfortable anywhere with these.   The compac doesnt move as much but when you get on the teak and holy cabin sole theyre slick!   The zhik shoes also dry out fast and the sole is easily removable.  Not something Id wear all day however.

brackish

I'll second the recommendation for CROC's.  I broke down and bought a pair of "boat" crocs a couple of years ago based on a recommendation on the TSBB.  Mine look like the original Croc but have a different material and tread on the bottom designed for gripping wet decks.  They grip better than any boat shoe I've ever had.  Mine are all rubber with no inserts so they dry immediately.  When I'm on my boat, the Sperry's stay in the bag, and I wear the Crocs.  One caution, they take a while to get used to, at least for me.  Initially they irritated a few rub spots on my feet.  Took a week or so of occasional wearing to "toughen" those spots, and from then on, they are great.

I was going to post the model number of the pair I have but couldn't find it online.  Hope they haven't discontinued it in favor of fancier offerings.

carry-on

Thanks to all for the input. Bought Crocs Yukons this PM. I've had Crocs before but these new ones have a much better tread pattern. The oldies are slick from use.
Will see how the leather uppers hold up in salt water.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

If I wear shoes, it's an old pair of low top Converse All Star. And I've got about a million of 'em around. Can't seem to throw them out. They really grip great on the deck. I find it's safer to wear a shoe than go barefoot...I seem to wack my toe against a stanchion base or a block from time to time.
Bob23
Merry Christmas!!!!!

Greene

Admiral Brenda says, "It's all about the shoes!"

B
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

HenryC

Old sneakers or running shoes.

First they get worn for dressy sports wear, then for knocking around, then off-road or bicycling, eventually they wind up on the beach, or on the water, the end of the line.

The trouble with nice shoes on a boat is that they get ruined during launching/recovery, or wading ashore, or anchoring in shallow water.  My boats always had several pairs of old sneakers aboard. If they started smelling a bit ripe, a quick immersion in salt water got them ready for one more cruise. And if one went over the side or finally blew out, it was nice to know they were fully used up when they finally went.

kickingbug1

mike you have to wear shoes like that to the clr-----hey theres an idea "funky shoe night"
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"