a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compass protection from the sun?

Started by Vipersdad, April 25, 2013, 11:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vipersdad

Does the factory installed compass in the cockpit need to be covered in any way when not being used to protect it from sunlight?
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

MacGyver

I would say yes If you want it to last a while.
That ball is made of like lexan or plexi or something and I have seen them get a haze and or start to crack as time goes on

The original covers typically don't last long or fit tight enough for winds or travel.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

tmorgan

Yes, if you look for uncovered ones at a marina, you will see they get pretty ratty over the years!

Glenn Basore

Interesting that this question came up as I'm trying to find something to use to cover my compass.

I have a 2006 Eclipse and the plastic compass cover is about ready to give out. The small tabs have broken off to keep it secure.

So, my question is, what to use to cover the compass?

Glenn

MacGyver

One idea I have had is to make a sunbrella cover to put over mine, not sure how to go about doing that but it will work itself out.

I have thougth about using these plasic like adhesive backed buttons things from sailrite, called SNADS. They look kinda like a nice answer for the fastening method as to not have to screw into the boat, etc.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

brackish

after having two replaced under warranty by Ritchie, I bought a Plastimo that had a cover included.  The two Ritchies were cheap, did not have covers,  and they failed within a year each when the globe material crazed, cracked and started leaking.  Most compasses come with a cover and when it wears out you can get a replacement.