Main Menu

Manufacturer Blister like Defects

Started by MacGyver, December 30, 2012, 02:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Identifying blister like defects from the manufacturer

http://youtu.be/a0JTvKa4th8

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Well, I heard, " Dry Glass " meaning no 'wicking' of the resign into the CHOPPED GLASS?? Not good.
Aside from being dry, no amount of rolling the air out will add or pull or wick additional resign into the chopped glass.
It is possible to trigger the gun only hard enough to spray more resign on top of the chop. And roll some more.
But to get to the 'dry' is ney impossible.

I know this only because I worked for Rick Murphy who owned Sand Pounder's Incorporated in Palatine, Illinois as a 'popper, puller, and trimmer' to get the body out of the mold that he shot with a chop gun after three day's of curing. The resign is the strength, not necessarily the glass.

When I ordered my body, Rick said, "Your shooting it." 1-Wax the mold 2-Spray Gel Coat 3-Spray on chartreuse colored metal flake 4-Spray on black colored resign to fill space between the metalflake 5-Blow the chop 6-Roll like a mother 7-Throw your shoes away because they end up about a foot wide, each one. 8-Go home. Those were the layers.

Chopped glass is a 'string' of glass that is coiled into a 55 gallon drum and the endtail is pulled through a Chop Gun that has air driven blades that cut [chop] this string of glass into small fractions of inches and mixes it with resign at the gun's nozzle and blows the chop onto the nearly cured 'gel coat'.

The gel coat had previously been sprayed on top of a release agent covering the mold. This is a quick and dirty way to make a fiberglass 'anything'. These fractional inches of glass are not very strong. They bend around edges easily but certainly not as strong as 20 ounce woven glass mat, layer after layer, laid on the the bias that has been saturated once before being hand lay-ed onto the mold, wetted again, and then hand rolled some more to evenly distribute and push the resign in and the air out. Vacuum bagging achieves better and stronger results then rolling.

skip.

Orange Groves on the way to Fla in the 1959 A.H. with Ford 289 for power. Cool Bug w/ flipped wheels.
In parent's drive way with Bomber dog. I shot this body. And at Grandma's house.