a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Kailani

Started by Craig, October 16, 2012, 04:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

We have been sailing our new Horizon Cat, Kailani for a couple of months and could not be happier. We previously sailed our
Suncat, Cattitude in  the NY Finger Lakes and here in Punta Gorda, FL and really loved her but decided that since we were paying for a 20' slip (minimum at our marina) we might as well move to a HC (Hey its a good reason right? ;)). Since the HC forum needs a few posts, I thought I would share some of our impressions/experiences. Kailani is the diesel version with a 14hp 2 cyl Yanmar In addition to factory options we added a Mack Pack (lazy Jack/cover system), a Boomkicker and a downhaul. They were added to simpllfy our sailing lives(especially when singlehanding). I am happy to report that the combo works great! The boomkicker holds the boom about 6" above the gallows and the lazy jacks(integral with the Mack Pac) drop the sail into the Mack Pack which has a continuous line zipper allowing the sailcover to be zipped and unzipped from the cockpit. No sail ties needed to secure the sail once dropped. The downhaul pulls the gaff down and secures it at the mast. Unlike some other systems which have the sailcover sewn to the foot of the sail, the Mack Pack is secures with straps under the foot of the sail allows the sailcover to be open at the bottom so it does not trap moisture and allowing air to circulate around the sail, a plus here in FL. I am surprised at how maneuverable the HC is even at low speeds. Kailani will almost do a 360 in her own length. Tacking is much easier in the HC as compared to the Suncat which sometimes missed stays in light air. Had to get used to wheel steering since I have had 40 yrs plus of tiller steered boats. One plus of wheel steering I have noticed is that I can leave the wheel and the boat seems to hold course better than with the tiller. It would be nice if the steering had a friction lock to secure the wheel. Love the diesel! Electric start,economy and convenient controls are great. Noise is about the same as the ob on the Suncat and vibration is not an issue. One final note about Mack Sails. They are fantastic to work with! It turned out that our Mack Pack was the prototype for the Horizon Cat and as installed by Compac, required some fine tuning. The techs from Mack came to Punta Gorda and promptly made the adjustments on site. It doesn't get much better than that! All in all we love the HC: Roomy, nice motion, easy launch/retrieve, effortless sail management and good looks! What more can you ask!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

Hey, Craig:
   Your HC sounds like one nice boat. I really like them. There is a real nice dark green one in my area...don't know the owner and I don't think he hangs out here.
   When we visit our daugher in Punta Gorda this winter, I may look you up and bribe you to take me out for a sail!
   Any photos of your baby?
bob23

CaptRon28

Craig -

I had my Horizon down in Punta Gorda for a few months when I bought it 2 years ago. Trailered it down from Pensacola and then moved it up to NJ - probably for ever. It was my wife's idea to buy it - to avoid trailering the trimaran between FL and NJ. I should be back in about 10 days - look for a Telstar trimaran with gold kevlar sails and maybe flying a white screecher or red/white/blue spinnaker. I'm usually out on Charlotte Harbor 2 or 3 times a week. Great place to sail.

Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Craig

Hi Bob, By all means let me know when you are in PG! Any excuse to sail on beautiful Charlotte Harbor. Love to take you out. I have photos but haven't figured out how to post them here.

Craig

Will be looking for you Ron! There is a Tri at Laishley Marina where we keep Kailani. He had his spinnaker up today while in his slip. White with red star pattern. When you guys get to PG Kailani is in A-10. We are in the book under Deidrick.