a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Manual or power winch for CP16?

Started by MKBLK, November 17, 2012, 12:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

MacGyver

On our 19 we use all manual...... sometimes with just the 110 jib I will hold it with my hands under sail.
For raising the main or headsail we dont even use the handle unless we really need to tighten it down......this year we used the handle 2 times.......

Wouldnt think for a 16 that it would be worth it going to a power winch.
Our boat has Lewmars. You can even buy a full composite lewmar for like 70 bucks

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Macguyer, I think he's talking about the trailer winch.   No one puts sail control winches on a 16. Well, I'm sure someone has   ;D ;D , but they are unnecessary.

I would go manual, just because they are simpler from the maintenance and reliability perspective.  With electric, you need power to use it, and that power has to be plugged in somewhere, probably by your hitch.  I don't like to have any electrical cables plugged in when backing into the water although it can be done safely.  If for some reason it doesn't work,  then you have to crank the backup handle if it has one. It will be hard to use in backup mode.
Also more weight to load your hitch.

I suppose if I had half the strength (I'm mid-40's average shape),  AND the ramp was very gradual and you can't float the boat within 3 feet into the V block (before submarining your tow veh.) the power winch would be appealing. But winching the 16 to the vblock, regardless of ramps we're used, as always been a piece of cake (we were using an 05 Toyota 4runner V8 with the torsion AWD, so lot's of ground clearance, power and traction).   If you have trouble, look into a board under the keel instead of rollers which may or may not roll well, or a trailer extension or both.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

Hand winch. With a insertable and locking handle for leverage.
This is for the headsail sheet and not the halyard right?

Or are we talking about winching the boat onto the trailer?

skip.

MKBLK

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm looking for a winch for the magic-tilt trailer. I had a new Atwood and it rapidly self destructed. In fairness, I think the culprit was the poor condition of the keel rollers. All 3 rollers will have been replaced soon (already did two). The one up front was in really sad shape and I think caused the failure. Since the boat weighs 1200 lbs. +, what capacity manual winch is recommended?

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

MacGyver

When we bought one for our 19, I went 3/4 weight as for the most part it is floating when used.
We got a 1,500 lbs Fulton.

For yours I would go 800 or a 1000.

wont hurt to go to a 1,200 if you wanted.

Here is a link for a 900 lbs fulton from the trailer place I order from. Great service.

http://www.etrailer.com/Winches/Fulton/FT900Z0301.html

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Eagleye

Hmmm?  What am I missing here?

I have launched and retrieved the Eclipse 20 times this summer and the trailer winch is used very little.  When she floats off the trailer I note the water line on the side bunk so when I retrieve it I sink the trailer to the same water level.  I can almost always just walk the boat onto the trailer with the dock lines until it touches the vee roller and the bottom side bunks still guide the keel, centering the boat on the trailer. Then I just use the winch to draw it up snug and SLOWLY pull the boat and trailer out of the water.  Maybe the difference is the between the use of rollers compared to solid bunks? 

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

MKBLK

My new winch (Reese) and keel roller arrived from Amazon and have been installed. If you read my earlier post on my November sail on the Delaware, you know that it was a tad miserable at the ramp when the winch gave up the ghost. As I mentioned earlier in this string, the real culprit was the forward keel roller which had self-destructed preventing the winch from hauling the boat into the bow stop and leaving the boat about a foot away. A clue was probably the fact that my "back-up" come-along jammed as well. Having replaced the roller, the new winch had no trouble hauling Pegasus snugly into the stop. Now it's time to tuck her in for the winter.

Happy holidays to all!

Marty K.