News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat - finally a real Pocket Cruiser!

Started by capt_nemo, November 19, 2012, 09:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

First, there was the homemade Step/Two Drawer Storage Module under the Bridgedeck which began efforts to provide organized storage space down below.

That was followed by a Starboard Storage Module up against the cabin bulkhead.

But that was just not enough. After considerable thought and numerous design drawings I finally removed the lower two swing out doors on the Starboard Storage Module above and settled on fabricating this additional extension. It provides a much needed large horizontal countertop with quite a bit of storage capacity inside with flexibility and utility built in.

The large front panel locks behind a trim lip on top and is secured in place by the simple swing lock on the bottom left corner.

When the panel is removed it is simply slid under the countertop for storage out of the way.

With the front panel fully inserted the large cabinet houses a heavy duty sliding shelf with primary use for a 48 qt Igloo Cooler.

When the shelf is unlocked and slid forward access to the cooler is permitted.

If a cooler is not needed the front panel doubles as a shelf with two positions available.

The adjacent large compartment to the right utilizes the shelf left from the removal of the two doors in the other module and adds a large deep compartment for larger items.

After considering all the pros and cons regarding built-in sinks, supply and waste containers, and associated plumbing, I decided to keep it simple, let gravity do its thing and use these along with a large plastic basin.

Recently when out with the WCTSS at Cayo Costa for several days I found a THIRD use for the large front panel - a pull out table surface for writing or eating. (That's a chopped ham and cheddar cheese omlet with buttered toast and coffee!)

By the way, for those of you not familiar with my design and fabrication criteria, all of my Sun Cat modifications are installed with absolutely no holes drilled in the boat or permanent modification of the boat's structure in any way. They are tightly fitted and wedged in with wooden cleats using the existing structure of the boat. Therefore, the boat can be returned to "Factory" condition in a short period of time.

Although there are a few small additional add on details in my mind, I'm quite pleased with my Sun Cat Pocket Cruiser.

Tim Gardner

Nemo, Nemo, Nemo!

Your upgrades are phenomenal!

Sell them to Hutchins - They will double they're sales of upgrades with your imaginative cabinetry.

You are truly an artisan in imagineering.

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

NateD

That looks great! I'm surprised it can handle the weight of the cooler extended like that without anchoring (with fasteners) to the boat at all.

Looks like it is well on the way to being a very comfortable cruiser, my only question is where is the head? wag bags?

skip1930

Holly Cow! capt_nemo, my son...you be a definite woodchuck.
Super job. Now go sailing. Look at that tropical sun shine.
P.S., did you barrow my shoes? You know it's a small boat when you can't get your shoes out of the picture.

skip.

Koinonia

Nice work!!  what kind of slides did you use for the cooler shelf?  Storage is always at a premium!  If my boat starts to heel to one side or the other at the dock while preparing I find large quantities of beer work well as ballast that can be places in available locations!

capt_nemo

NateD and Koinonia -

The Heavy Duty Full Extnesion Ball Bearing Slides from Home Depot are anchored to the side panels which are wedged VERY TIGHTLY into position. Therefore the slides when pulled out are cantilevered out from a solid vertical fixture which has no problem bearing the weight. The whole structure is held fast athwartships and fore and aft by wooden cleats extending into the storage lockers below and attachment to the previous Module against the cabin bulkhead.

Bucket and Bags work well for a Head and do NOT occupy valuable storage space in the cabin.

capt_nemo