a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Looking at a CP-23D w/ wheel

Started by Irish Rover, December 23, 2005, 03:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Rover

I have owned a 1984 CP-23 for a few years now.  The boat is docked right in my back yard and we have lots of fun sailing it in and around Clearwater, FL.  My current boat has an 8 HP Honda outboard.

I have the opportunity to buy a newer (2000) 23 with an inboard diesal and a wheel.  Although I would welcome the diesel I am somewhat hesitant about the wheel. Reading through the forum I see that some of you share my thoughts.  Although I have not sailed many boats with wheels I think I prefer he feel of a tiller.  My current boat has quite a bit of weather helm.  I am not sure if a wheel would improve or worsen this.

To make matters worse I have publicly stated at a few neighborhood cocktail parties how boats under 27" should never have a wheel.

Any updated experiences or views on how a 23 "sails" with a wheel?

crbakdesign

Since I have a CP-19 today, I often browse and view what others have done to enhance their ride.  Since you asked about the wheel, that reminded me of this one:

I've got a simple tiller on my 19 and I can feel every wave and movement of the boat. I haven't had much experience on the larger boats, but I've been told that a wheel helm is less responsive.  It would stand to reason since there since any wheel has at least a 4:1 gear ratio as opposed to a tiller and rudder which at the most is a 2:1 lever.  On the other hand a wheel looks pretty cool! :)

Also note the cool wooden hatch over the fo'castle!