a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What is the best GPS to buy?

Started by DOUG142, May 12, 2008, 09:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

I have a Standard Horizon 180i.  Loaded with gulf coast to great lakes and inland waterways between it cost about $420.  I mounted it on a ram mount which was about anather $40 if I recall.  Think it has been replaced with the 190i which has all coastal charts pre loaded and is also a fish finder for about $580.  If I needed one, I would buy that one. 

Important to ask what you want it for.  I never even turn it on when sailing my home lake except for the rare occurance when weather limits visibility.  However, when I tow to the coast and sail in the skinny water I use it all the time to keep from fetching up on sand bars and to get where I want to go in unfamiliar waters.

I've found that Ultimate Passage has always had the best delivered price on marine electronics.

Koinonia

Ive been checking out the Lowrance HDS-7 Bundle and adding the sirius satalite to it.  With the sirius you can get weather information to overlay your chartogrophy such as wind direction, weather radar ect, which also covers nearshore sailing in the US.  So when your out of any cell or radio range you can still get weather information.

Vipersdad

s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

ribbed_rotting_rusting

I just ordered a etrex garmin 30 with a kit from cabelas.I think west marine has some video up about handheld gps features. What I liked best was that garmin has a CUSTOM MAP application that allows you to scan other maps into their handheld. The also have a pretty sophisticated compass and a barometric pressure
gauge that you can switch between. I know I sound like a ad, but the updated sensitivity and the map application really grabbed my attention. It looks like you could finally be free of the expensive micro SD cards that cost a bundle and are easily mislaid. I think that the kit included some stuff such as what garmin  called a birds eyeview which are satelite views of the area you are as well as a years subscription.  Color, 3-d, I thought not bad for $325 on sale, $275 for the gps by itself and it is their top of the line that model. I guess you can see I'm hooked good. Give 4-6 weeks and see if I still sing their praises. Mike