a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spacer in mast at spreaders?

Started by marc, October 11, 2012, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Talked to another guy about this and he said he would not worry about it.
Small boat, small loads.

Then when I said that was a tear, he said he would maybe use a little JB spread into the crack spot and "Fuhgetta bout it."

I feel like going to subway and getting a Italian sub sandwich....

Get the proper length bolt and fender washer it out.

should be good as gold then.

The welding all I was thinking was TIG welding it, and he did agree with that, but definitely wasn't thinking about filling in the area.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

2 things:
   First: with the fender washer fix, you are still transferring the loads to the sidewalls of the mast. Seems that the mast isn't designed to take any loads from the side. There must be a way to install a spacer. If there is a larger hole in one side of the mast, isn't that where a spacer could be installed? It doesn't need to be really thick- the load places the spacer in compression. Why don't you guys call Dywer or Compac?
   Second: Fuhgettaboutit is one word.
Bob23

marc

Glad to hear you folks don't think this is a serious issue. My inclination is to use JB Weld, though I'd like the color of the repair to match the mast. It's been years since I've used it but still have some left to mix up and try out.

Bob23 - you've got a good point about sidewall compression and the value of having a spacer there. I currently have 2 small holes just large enough for the bolt. If other masts have a larger hole to be able to insert a spacer, there's no reason why I can't enlarge one of the holes I currently have. Don't see a problem of enlarging one of them just enough to put in a spacer. I'm sure I can pick up a plastic stout spacer/bushing in a hardware store.

I'll give Dwyer a call and get their opinion.

Marc

skip1930

" good point about sidewall compression and the value of having a spacer there "

Hummmm I'm not so convinced about that spacer need. The one piece mast is just not a hollow tube, it has a center extruded
'backbone' running full length top to bottom. The side load from a prooperly tightened set of spreaders is nothing when compared to dumb wrenching some person imposed on the bolt and made it so tight it pulls the outer extrusion closed ONLY AT THE BOLT AND ITS NUT. A testament to how strong the extruded aluminium mast really is.
On a hard sailing day I'll bet the mast is not strained more than 1/4 of it's fail point.

skip.

marc

I talked the issue over with my marina manager. He agreed with you guys. JB Weld or washers, throw in a compression tube then go sailing.  I had also sent a query to Dwyer. Their response is below. I was surprised by their comment re the compression tube.
Marc

"We do not have any expertise repairing masts and are not familiar with  JB Weld

Most commonly we are asked to supply short pieces of
  extrusion for fabricators seeking to fashion a splice to rejoin two sections of mast after removing damaged material.

I  don't know the reason but the production print specifies no compression tube.

Best Regards,
  Dwyer Aluminum Mast

marc

I had contacted Gerry at Hutchins. He said if it was him, he'd continue to use the mast but said it in a rather guarded way.  I was concerned about this since Buzzards Bay has a lot of wind & a lot of chop and I didn't want to be worrying about the mast. I decided to bring the mast to Dwyer. My intention was to replace the mast. I brought it there so they could transfer my existing hardware to the new mast.  The shop manager took a look and said no problem, "It's just getting broken in".  I asked about a spacer and said it would be a good idea. He drilled out a larger hole, cut a spacer to fit and sent me on my way. All for no charge.
I've faired out the dimple with JB Weld and am ready to go. You guys were right on the money with your advice. Thanks again.
Marc

Bob23

WOW!! We finally gave someone correct advice...imagine that!!! What are the odds of that? Reminds me of "Stump the Chumps" on CarTalk.
bob23