Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Refinishing the Teak

Started by Glenn Basore, November 06, 2012, 03:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

Some time ago I used Cetol Marine Finish (light) instead of Teak oil on some of the exterior wood. Although originally not happy about the orange tint to the finish I'm pleased how well its holding up. I think its been at least 18 months since I put it on and it looks as good as when I first put it on.

The teak that I had used Teak Oil on has long faded away and the wood is very dry, So..........I sanded it down and added the Cetol to all the exterior woods, she looks pretty good. I put on there coats and I was sure to get the under side of the bow really good.

I decided I can live with the orange tint considering how long it holds up compare to Teak oil.

Over all, she looks pretty good for a 2006 and she still turns a lot of heads.

Any Eclipse guys using the Spinker? is it an "A" symmetrical? (Whats the difference between the two ?)

I'm thinking about ordering it from Gerry.

Glenn

NateD

Agree on the Cetol light. I don't like the initial orange tinge either, but it holds up very well. I've gone 2 seasons here in MN with no need to touch-up yet.

Bob23

Have  you guys tried the Cetol Teak color? It doesn't have that annoying orange tint. I've used that on my cabinside eyebrow trims as well as my dorade box. On my Force 5, I've used the same (3 coats) and and overcoat of the Cetol Gloss and it has held up well to an entire summer under the sun. I've spoken with the Cetol brains at the company and the gloss will add to the life of the finish. Best part: at recoat time, after some light sanding, you can recoat Cetol right over the gloss. Of course, it's a softer finish than varnish but a lot less time consuming. Try the Teak color...you will like the color!
bob23

beradthefish

I re-finished all my exterior teak - Three coats of Cetol Marine Natural Teak followed by two coats of Cetol Marine Gloss.  I'll try to get some pictures or a video up soon.

Glenn Basore

Today I was sailing on my friends boat and we were talking about the Cetol, he suggested to lightly sand it (this would lessen the orange tint) and put a coat of "Clear gloss Cetol", this would give it a higher luster.

I Will wait until the weather returns to the higher 70 temperatures as we are suppose to get rain and cooler temps.

I sailed on a 12.5 Morgan Gaff rig today,it was fast light and nibble with winds at 10 mph, lots of fun.

Glenn B.

Bob23

My biggest problem with Cetol is that it is a soft finish. But I do like the way the Teak color looks and the gloss does add to the durability of the finish.
   Personally, I use Flagship varnish on my 23 but I'll be the first to admit it is very labor intensive. You must sand between coats and 7 coats of varnish is a proper job. That being said, it is very hard and durable.
   But I could never keep it on the cabinside eyebrow trims so I used Cetol there. Except for the less smooth finish of the Cetol, I can't tell the difference. Well, I can but no one else has noticed.
bob23

capt_nemo

Hi guys,

Three seasons on Cetol Marine Light for Sun Cat "Frisky" and still going strong! However, I do keep a white Polytarp cover on the boat when not in use.

That Orange tinge will grow on ya, especially considering how easy it is to maintain the finish.

Have used Cetol for many years on 3 sailboats, 17', 32', and 35' and a 36' Trawler. Love the stuff!

capt_nemo