a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Updates... and more questions

Started by Mokey7, October 28, 2012, 08:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mokey7

So a few updates from the last couple of months...
I've launched and retrieved solo a couple of times. My trailering skills are improving. ::)
Finally figured out I have hull #39.
Also, got that pesky bolt cut off that was impairing the centerboard to come all of the way up.

On to the questions:
For downwind sailing, do you let your sail lay on the sidestays? I'm unsure on the whole idea, and would like some guidance.
The other questions...  In regards to the centerboard uphaul, can it be replaced only when the centerboard is down, and how is it attached (tied on or a shackle of some sort).

skip1930

So were talking about a Picnic Cat. First one I saw was at Yacht Works in Sister Bay, Wisconsin. Boy I liked it straight away.
Had that great shear line typical of all Com-Pacs.

So the sail can lay upon the side shroud if sailing down wind. I would not recommend it, but it can be done. Kind of depends on the the definition of 'Down Wind'. Down wind but a tad off the centerline and you might haul in a few inches off the wire. Since this boat is gaff rigged there are a few more lines to control the one sail. That gaff can be pulled nearly straight up or let down almost horizontal. Play with those angles. The boom angle, well that's a function of the length of leech-the pull of the gaff. I don't have any experience with a gaff that would be very helpful to you and this boat.

The centerboard up haul I don't know about either but I'm guessing no shackle or any hardwear but rather a line with a figure eight stopper knot. Something that won't be jammed between the centerboard trunk. And I'll bet your right, the knot has to be tied when the board is down or totally unbolted and slid out after the pivot bolt is removed.

skip.