Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Still Sailing?

Started by Glenn Basore, October 28, 2012, 12:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hey you Eclipse owners,

Any of you still sailing ? I know most of you are on the east cost and this storm most likely is keeping you on shore and with winter coming on I expect your getting close to ending your sailing season.

The weather here in Southern Calif. is pleasant and is suppose to be good next week end as well, so.........I'm going out either Friday or Saturday..weather permitting.

Hope you all make it through the storm ok.

Glenn B.

Eagleye

Hey Glenn,
Thanks for the good wishes!  I was able to get out on the Hudson for a 12 mile sail last Friday.  They forecasted
temps in the high 60's and plenty of sun in the afternoon so I skipped work.  As it turned out we only got a peak of sun and the temps barely reached 62ish.  That was plenty warm with just a light jacket on and it was still a great day sailing.  I needed the practice learning to navigate the river with the tides, traffic and buoys not to mention the narrow channels.   

The Madame is tucked away for the storm but stilled poised for another sail or two if the weather is in our favor next week.

Good Luck to All,

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Vectordirector

Looks like we are done for the year here in Chicagoland.  As the cubs fans say "There's always next year." The good part is it will give me some time to address the hull cracks and refinish the teak and have the bottom painted.   At least we got her in the water 3 times.  I have to decide if I will trailer sail, slip, moor, or mast up dry store her next year.  I envy those of you who are still sailing. 

Keep safe all.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Glenn Basore

Nice picture Allen.

I didn't go sailing today but the wife and I went to the Ventura Beach here in Calif. for the day of sitting on the beach.

We are able to watch all the sail boats going out and returning along with all the other marine activity.

Sunny, 72 degrees, very little wind and most the sail boats returning were under power, not sail.

Had our fish and chips before making our hour drive home.

Best wishes to you all who are facing the storm!

Glenn

EclipseGuy

I'm still sailing here in Michigan.

On Saturday I went out in Lake Saint Clair for the day. It was in the upper 40s and lower 50s, and quite windy. Waves were around 3 feet. It was the type of weather that can only be enjoyed if you are dressed for it.

I saw a few other sailboats way off on the horizon, but for the most part I was the only sailboat in the NW part of the lake.

It was great sailing. I was running at 5-6knts with just a reefed headsail. That is always a lot of fun when you are riding some decent waves!

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Glenn Basore

John,

A bit cold for me at 50 and 60 degrees!

I'm not too crazy about riding the waves either..............I usually will set a course to avoid the surfing one gets.

Splashing through a couple of waves is always fun though.

Glenn B.