a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How big is the V-berth?

Started by chas5131, October 07, 2012, 11:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas5131

Is there room for two adults on the V-berth?

Eagleye

Chas,
Admiral Suzie and I sleep very comfortably in the V-berth.  I'm 6' and had plenty of leg room.  It measures 6' 6" along the cabin wall  X 4' 8" across the beam.  

Just make sure to wrap a towel around the aluminum compression post.  That dang thing sure is cold when bare skin touches it!
;)

///,        ////
\  /,      /  >.
\  /,   _/  /.
 \_  /_/   /.
  \__/_   <
 /<<< \_\_
/,)^>>_._ \
(/               eagleye
*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*

"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Bob23

Is the post removable? I've heard of guys removing the post in thier boats when not sailing in order to increase room down below. I don't remember who or what kind of boats. Depending on the type of boat, this may or may not be a good idea.
bob23

Eagleye

Bob,
The mast is one piece from inside the compartment below the vee berth up to the joint of the Mastendr.  There is no easy removal of it without unbolting the bottom and breaking the sealant where it goes through the cabin top.   It is made from the same aluminum extrusion that the mast is made of.   In any event, we are able to work around it with no problems.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

EclipseGuy

We find the V-Berth plenty roomy for the two of us. We are of average size though, me being about 5 foot 9.

The V Berth on the Eclipse is more roomy than the other 19 foot trailer sailors I have owned. I think it is because of the fact that there is no weather deck. On the WWP 19 and the Sanibel when you slept in the longest part of the V-berth, which is along the sides, you were also underneath the lowest part of the cabin (the weather deck areas). I would often bang against the cabin above me when I would roll over.

The deck on the Eclipse runs from beam to beam, so when you sleep in the V-berth you aren't tucked under a low cabin area.

We typically sleep in the quarter berth areas though. That way we do not have to bring (and store) the V-berth filler cushions. This also means our galley stays accessible. We then use the front of the V-berth to store our duffle bags.

- John

'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse