a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Whisker Pole

Started by Roger Schwake, July 18, 2005, 05:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Schwake

I have bought a whisker pole for our boat. We have a 135% genoa and am woundering how high off he deck I should mount the ring on the mast. Anyone out there have any ideas.

Alec Hart

Hello Roger!

I have a short (12- 18 inch) piece of T-track on the front of the mast of our 27/2.  The whisker pole ring is adjustable up or down - I understand this is for adjustments when the roller furling is used (less sail = higher clew, more sail = lower clew).  This adjustment can be made in conjunction with the jib sheet blocks port and starboard which move fore and aft as you take in or let out sail... (but with all these fine tuning adjustments, you start to loose some of the convenience of roller furling don't you ; - )  Assuming you won't be able to mount you ring to be adjustable,  I would place it so as the pole is nearly level when the headsail is poled-out as it would be when running "wing-on-wing".  In my experience and based on the reading I've done, this should be an "optimum" position.

Alec

Roger Schwake

Thanks Alex
 This is one of the things I plan on working on this winter. Your thinking makes good scence to me so I'll give it a try.