Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rating ?

Started by Glenn Basore, February 24, 2013, 01:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

Recently I participate in the Lake Havasu event which was great.

I met Gary who is also a Com Pac owner from Iowa and we sailed my boat in one of the races.

At the start of the race the winds were a strong 20 mph and shortly after crossing the start line my jib sail let go, the lines connecting to the sail tore out, Gary was able to stand on the pitching deck and make a temporary repair, we were back into the race.

This was a long course of 14 miles and we finished 79th out of 104.

At the end of the event they posted our results and they (the committee) gave my boat a handicap rating of 95.

I don't know how they came up with this rating?

Gary attempted to find a rating for the Eclipse and wasn't able to come up with one for the Eclipse. There were ratings for the Com Pac 19 and 23 but those numbers seemed very different.

Any ideas?

Glenn

brackish

It sounds like you were assigned a Portsmouth rating number.  If you go to U. S. Sailing site, there will be a section on how the rating is developed, fairly complicated in my mind.  For them to issue you a rating that quickly, without measuring or inspecting the boat, they must have had an old rating factor that they reused.

The very different ratings on the other boats you mentioned were most likely PHRF (performance handicap rating factor).  For perspective, your boat would probably rate somewhere in the high 200's.  I know the average PHRF rating for a ComPac 23 is 252.  PHRF, more widely used I think, is also discussed on the U. S. Sailing site.

Often a boat will not show up on either list unless someone wants to race it and pays to have it measured and rated.  Most of the ComPacs used to be on the PHRF list until this year, but they have disappeared.  Not sure why, maybe no race entries for a while.

The finish you mentioned, was it overall boat for boat, or corrected time finish?

Glenn Basore

Brackish,

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if it was for boat or time.

We had 5 hours to complete the course, we were in a few minutes of not making the time limit when the committee boat extended the time by 30 more minutes to allow the other boats they could see to finish the race.

It was a very informal race they called a " gentlemen's race".

It was fun, especially the start of the race.

Glenn