a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Teak "Mystery" Box

Started by blocknshackle, December 04, 2010, 05:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blocknshackle

For you Eclipse owners:  Does any one of you know the purpose of the rectangular teak box that is fitted just forward of the mast base in the storage compartment under the V-berth?  It is hinged along one of the long sides.   I asked the previous owner and he didn't have a clue either.  Maybe this feature is common to other Com-Pacs as well.

Many thanks,  Mike

kahpho

That's Pandora's box. DON'T OPEN IT!!!
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Glenn Basore

Mike, are you talking about the "door" at the very end of the vee birth that is vertical ?

If you look straight into the cabin, the teak door is at the very front of the vee birth, this is where my anchor chain is stored.

Glenn

blocknshackle

No, Glenn, that's not it.  If you lift up your vee-birth storage door just forward of the mast you will see the "box."  It's four-sided, hinged and about 9" by 4" in teak but without a top or bottom.  You should also see the transducer in this storage compartment (assuming you have a transducer.)  The box is just aft of the transducer.  I too thought it might be Pandora's box, but without a top and bottom that wouldn't be possible, would it?  If it wasn't such a PITA to do, I would scrape off the snow and uncover the boat to take a photo.

Mike

Glenn Basore

Mike,

I have no transducer. I thinking may be some one built the box for your transducer as that would be the best location for it.

I will have to take another look at my boat but I dont recall any other box under the v birth or near the mast.

GlennB.

ps, I have a 2006

Napier6

I wondered about the mystery box also, there is a drainage hole at the base of the compartment.  I thought the box would prevent stowage from blocking the bilge drainage. In the photo you can see the drain in the middle.
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

blocknshackle

Since I don't have any information to the contrary, I'll go with Napier6's idea.  It sounds plausible.   Maybe the only way to find out definitely is to call one of the grand pooh-bahs of Com-Pac boats and get his input.  Thanks to you both for chiming in on this one.

Mike

beradthefish

I'll resurrect this thread to verify that N6 is correct, a method of blocking the bilge that Com-Pac no longer does.  Source: G. Hutchins.