a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

#23 out of storage for a driveway sail, jib problem, questions

Started by Vectordirector, September 01, 2012, 08:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

The remnants of Isaac came through today with lots of wind and a little rain.  I decided not to go to the lake.  I had a good time testing the motor (started on the second pull) and got the mast up without too much cursing.  I went to attach the jib and things started to turn for the worse.  I found a problem with the jib.  The previous owner had stored the jib, furler and all, in the cabin, bent around the outer wall in a big U shape.  Didn't think anything of it when I looked at the boat.  When I put the mast up and tried to attach the furler, the headstay wouldn't reach the hole to pin it in.  About 2 inches short.  I looked up the jib and realized that it had a couple bad kinks in the luff. I assume this is the issue.  Or maybe I didn't attach the headstay correctly at the top, I haven't put the mast back down yet to look at it. 

This would have been very annoying had I taken the boat to the lake and then discovered the issue.  CDI website says a couple of weeks in the sun might fix it, but the season is pretty much over here by then and the sun was missing today.  Another lost weekend. 

Eagleye, I remember you posted about the same issue.  You replaced your luff if I remember correctly.  How involved was it to do?  Do you remember what length luff you bought, who from, if you had to cut it and if so what length did it wind up being?  I may just buy a new one and install it. 

A couple of other questions:  Would you trailer experts worry about the sidewall cracks in these tires?
The other one: 

Trinidad bottom paint removed, would you cover the barrier coat with ablative antifouling paint if trailering?

The journey continues,

Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Eagleye

Vector..
Maybe I can help.  You said you were about 2 inches short of attaching the forestay.  This may be as simple as releasing the quick releases on the shrouds before you attach the headstay.  Once you have the pin at the bottom of the forestay attached then lock down the quick releases on the shrouds.  That will tighten up and hopefully straighten the luff a bit.

I hope that is all that is needed.

Concerning the luff extrusion, mine had major kink in it from a 2 year period of it laying over the stern arch.  It looked like a long hock stick so I did replace it.  From your pictures it does not seem like you have any major kinks.  There is a school of thought that laying flat in a warm environment for a period of time will straighten it somewhat.  At this point in time in the season us folks in the north don't have a whole lot of sunny days or time left to wait around for the dang thing to go flat.  (and there is no hurrying that process!) 
From seeing the pics, if you can get the forestay attached let Mother Nature run its course and use the furler as it is.  It may wobble a bit and it may also straighten a bit and then make the decision about replacement in the spring. 

If you do choose to replace it the CDI website has a very good instruction guide to the replacement.  The luff extrusion does come long but just measure your old one and cut it to exactly the same length.
http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF1%20manual%206_12.pdf

As for the tires...replace them ASAP with a Kenda tire with an "E" load range.
http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Kenda/AM3H470.html

There are several posts on this discussion so a quick search will revel a lot of info.

Sail Soon,
Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

MacGyver

Vector,

Concerning the paint, for what its worth my Interlux Rep told me to use Micron CSC when trailering the 19, and said just add some extra at the wear points, like bunks and such.
He said the time between while it is out of the water, the Micron holds up well to being out of the water.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Glenn Basore

Vector,

When you are about 2 inches short its most likely the shrouds at the top end of the mast have slipped into the mast a bit. Simply loosen the mast a bit and shack the shrouds, usually you can see they are not angled down so shake them and they will most likely slip back into their proper postion.

Don't forget to tighten every thing back up.

Glenn

Vectordirector

Thanks guys. Weather doesn't look promising again tomorrow so will stay home and I'll re do the mast and shrouds .  Wish me luck.  I have two Carlisle spare tires that came with the boat, I'll have to go get a jack and lug nut wrench unless the ones from the jeep work and get them changed over.  Then I'll get the Kendas as new spares.  Funny thing, I graduated from Wentzville (Home of E-trailer.com) High in 1981.  Haven't been back there since I left in 1984.  Google maps shows lots of changes.   Micron CSC sounds like a winner, I'll have it done when I have Gage do the fiberglass repairs.   

More tomorrow,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

EclipseGuy

I can see from your photos that it appears that your starboard shroud is not resting properly in its groove (near the top of the mast). It appears to be cocked outward a bit.

When looking at the shroud from the point where it connects towards the top of the mast, down to the chainplate, it should be a straight line. In the photo you can see a bit of a hump toward the top near where it rests in the groove. This will prevent the mast from going forward far enough for you to connect your head stay (furler).

This kind of thing is common when raising a mast. Be happy you have an Eclipse an not a trailer sailor with multiple shrouds to wrestle with!

You can let the mast back down a bit and shake the shroud to get it to seat properly. My suggestion would be to lower it all the way and play with the fitting a bit just so that you become familiar with how it rests in the groove, and so that you feel secure in the knowledge that there is nothing wrong with how the shroud connects to the mast, it is just a matter of it occasionally not seating properly when you raise the mast and tighten things down.

Also, at least one of your shrouds should have the quick release lever undone so that the rig isn't too tight for you to connect your headstay.

So the procedure is like this:

*loosen one of the shroud quick release levers
*raise the mast
*inspect the shrouds to be sure they draw proper straight lines between the head of the mast where they connect and the chain plates.
*Connect your headstay
*Close the quick release lever on the shroud and put in the pin.

I would bet that your furler will be just fine once the pressure is put back on it, and your rig will work just fine.

I have purchased those furlers for some other boats and when they ship from the factory they are in a coil. You lay them out on the sun for a while to help straighten them back out.

- John 
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse