Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Maiden sail on my new Eclipse

Started by Skip_956, April 25, 2006, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip_956

HELLO from a new Eclipse owner.  

I was finally able to take the Eclipse I purchased last month for its first sail.  Wind was 10-15 and the Bay was fairly flat.  I was impressed with the way the boat sailed as I was concerned about performance.  It handled the gusts very well with little weather helm but good response to the rudder.  While I could get it to heal to 20 degrees in the gusts with the full sail it pretty well set in at 15 degrees and seemed to like that angle of sail (Boat is very stable).  Another thing I had heard about was the headsail or sheets getting tangled on the front of the mast on the mastender system.  Well that was certainly correct.  The first 2 or 3 tacks I made the sheets got tangled and it was a little difficult to get it untangled when you are single handed.  I finally figured a way to keep it from happening and thought I might pass it along.  What I am now doing is taking all the slack out of the windward sheet and closing the cam to hold it in place.  When I tack over I let the headsail back just a second to put a little pressure on it (also speeds up the tack), I can then release the jib and easily pull in the other sheet.  I did this more than a dozen times and never had the sheets or jib get tangled.  I didn't get to play with the traveler but that is for the next sail.  The main seems a little too full and I need to work on the luff tension and the tension on the foot to see if I can take out some of the fullness.  Anyone with questions or suggestions just let me know.

Anyone with other ideas to get the most out of the Eclipse let me know.  I am looking forward to communicating with other Eclipse owners and learning from them.

Anyone coming to South Texas (South Padre Island) near the Mexican Border we have a great area to sail the Eclipse and I will be happy to help in anyway I can.  Let me hear from you Eclipse owners and lets get the forum a little more active.

Skip Maggard

Windhawk

The genny on my 23 wanted to foul as well, your tactic is about the best.  Of course, with a manageble sail size on these boats, gybing is likely the best tactic.  Simply sheet the main in hard, and push her over.  The jib will tend to itself.  Congrats on the new boat.

Skip_956

I considered the 23 when I was looking but thought I was going to trailer sail and the Eclipse seemed like a good option.  How do you like your 23, I really think they are sharp looking and seem to be pretty roomy.  I owned a C22 (Catalina) in the early days.  How does the CP23 compare to the C22, as far as room, and performance.  The CP23 is certainly a better looking boat but I loved my C22.

hazelscamp

Thanks for the info on handling the jib.   I have had the eclipse out three times single hand and notice that tangling on the mastender is a problem.

I am located south of Jacksonvllle FL and sail on the St Johns river which is very wide at this point.

I wish you good sailing !

Skip_956

Thanks for your response.  I contacted Com-Pac about the problem but they said just tie a rag around the mast and area where it hangs up.  Sounds like they are not too interested in helping.  I have covered that area with a large velcro strap and it seems to work well.  I am working on a stainless bail to put over the area as that would look better.