a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

T.S. Isaac

Started by reedtg3, August 22, 2012, 02:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

At what point does prudence dictate removal of sail, sailcover, and bimini from a Sun Cat to prepare for an approaching storm? I was down at the marina on Lake Harris at lunch and one old salt was already removing his sails and pointed out another boat which had already done so (neither are Sun Cats).  We're probably a week away from feeling the effects of Isaac, whatever strength it may be, if any.  I think I would prefer to be in a slip tied securely to a floating dock on an inland lake 40 miles from the coast than on a trailer at an RV storage facility.  But I would value the voice of experience in that regard, both as to where to put the boat in a storm (no room in the garage) and at what wind strength I should think about removing the canvas.
Looking forward to the day when I can reciprocate with advice of my own....
TReed, CP 17 SC 377 Cattail, Lake Harris, FL     

capt_nemo

No need to remove sail unless you'll feel better doing so.

Just take a good line and put a Hurricane Tie over the sail cover with everything inside. Hurricane Tie consists of fastening the line at one end and making a series of short tight half hitches all along the boom to the other end and then tying off.

If left on trailer, strap boat securely to trailer and anchor trailer down if possible.

My Sun Cat is on a trailer in SW Florida and I haven't done anything yet. Still wait'in and look'in at track.

capt_nemo

HideAway

We haven't done anything yet-  its still a long ways away.   We will go to Gulfport this weekend - most likely Saturday - The main sail is already off since we are getting a new one made.  Just have to tie the bimini & check the ground ties.

Gulfport Marina has installed screw in ground anchors similar to mobile home anchors - 4 for all boats in dry slips.   We will double up the lines this time.  If the track bears out with a cat 1 close to shore there will be damage and flooding.   That part of Gulfport will surely be evacuated so we only have one chance to get it right.

It is always amazing to me how much the boat moves around in only 30 mph winds let alone 90-   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

cavie

The new cover is in Clearwater FL. getting adjusted. I will leave the sail on the boom under the sail cover. The Bimini will be in the garage. I have rings in the concrete in the drive and will lash the boat and trailer in place as I did with the Crab Claw during Charlie. I'll check things out on Sunday morning and decide if I need to beg for help puting the shutters up. Torn rotater woun't allow for it by myself.

Bob23

I respectfully disagree with Capt. Nemo. I'd would remove the sail, bimini and anything else that can be removed by Issac. Removing the sail is easier than dealing with the damage that a flying-loose mainsail can cause.
   Last year when Irene came to visit here in NJ, I removed the sail, lowered  the mast and duct taped all the hatches shut. The boat stayed in the water but was tied off with a spider web of lines.
As it turned out, Irene caused no damage to my part of NJ ( Ocean County) but wreeked some havoc up north and inland, of all places. While NOAA was predicting an 8' storm surge, we only got 2.5 feet so being in the water was a good place to be.
I'd rather be safe than sorry. Remove the sails.
Bob23

brackish

I would also remove.  Been through dozens of hurricanes, and in particular remember after Camille the number of shreded sails, mains and jibs on furlers and covers.  Yeah Camille was big, but thing is it wasn't predicted to be big until almost the last minute as it drifted along the coast building strength determining where it might come in.  Not saying you can't protect it with lashing, just think removing it is not a big deal (or is it on a Sun Cat?) and offers an absolute for preservation.

Watchin  Isaac.  Want to go scalloping in St. Joe Bay this weekend through Tuesday.  Isaac may be the determining factor on that trip.  Have only missed my annual scallop trip twice in forty years, both times due to Hurricanes.

Billy

I am in Palm Harbor, About 15-20 minutes north of Clearwater. My boat is on the trailer in my yard and I plan on doing the following...

-remove cover
-remove engine
-remove rudder and tiller
-remove bimini
-secure mast to pulpits for and aft (boom is in the cabin)
-strap boat to trailer
- Don't have any way of securing trailer to ground other than purchasing some type of auger or something. Probably just let the air out of the tires
-maybe attempt to secure the tongue jack to the ground. (maybe buy one auger for the tongue thoughts?)
-lock companionway hatch
-secure lazzerette hatches. There are padlock hasp but probably wont use a pad lock. Maybe just some small line or something.

And remove anything in the yard that could get blown into my pretty boat.

My boat is on the east side of my house, so any east or west wind shouldn't be too bad. No if it is from the north or south it could get pretty dicey.

Am I missing/forgetting anything?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Joseph

You guys down South are much more experienced in this kind of events that us seasonal sailors of the Great White North... However, in June 1999, I sailed from Norfolk to Bermuda (in an Island Packet 38) in the arms of the feeders of Arlene, the first tropical storm of the hurricane season. It was an unforgettable and awsome experience (we even got to deploy a sea anchor) that I do not intend to repeat... Hurricanes are unpredictable monsters... Best thing is for you and the boat to avoid their paths altogether. Second is to get yourself and the boat under a sturdy roof in relative high grounds. All other choices have larger grades of risk implied be it from the strong winds, the big waves or the water surges, not to mention lightning.

Best of lucks!

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

capt_nemo

Living in SW Florida and hearing today's weather report on the path of the storm I decided to take action in settled weather and moved Sun Cat "Frisky" to a friends unused nearly empty 2 car garage down the street.

After quickly disconnecting the mast stub and boom gallows, laid the fully rigged spars bundle down on the padded side of the cabin top and secured them. Then parked her in there diagonally (because of 4' bowsprit) and hinged the tongue back. That "Garage Package" I added to the purchase price is worth every penny I paid for it!

My other toys -  homemade wooden sailboat on trailer, motorcycle, and motorcycle trailer, were already stored in my "Snowbird" neighbor's garage across the street.

Tomorrow I'll put the high impact plastic shutters up on all windows.

capt_nemo

Tom Ray

Last night, I was telling my wife that this storm has consistently been north of its previously forecast positions, and they are gradually moving the forecast line north in response.

I went on to say that the worst thing I could think of happening would be the center moving north of Cuba and remaining over water.

That's what the forecast shows this morning.

I'm still having trouble getting worried about this one. It's still going to be hanging over those Cuban mountains, which will weaken it even if the center stays north of the island. If it heads here from there, the Everglades and Florida Bay are in the way. Both are kind of like feeding the storm a candy bar: lots of quick energy, but the shallow water means it won't last.

skip1930

Worried about Isaac? This turkey is 1000 miles across. Look at the satalight pictures. Put her on the trailer and drive 20 miles inland.

I don't know why the government allows any development with in 5 miles of the coast. But that's just me.
Or FEMA should just exclude the first 5 miles closest to the beach.

If your going to live here, build a shack and expect that to be devastated every few years. Build it again.

Boy now I made some enemies. Is this not common sense? One will never win over Mother Nature. skip.

Bob23

Stay safe, my fellow Compac skippers. Although I'm safe up here in NJ, I'm watching this storm closely as my daugher lives just a few miles from Capt Nemo down there in Punta Gorda. Just spoke to her on the phone with some last minute fatherly advice.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/212841.shtml?5-daynl#contents
Bob23