Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

manual for cp 19

Started by fasteddie, August 24, 2012, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Hi Brackish,

I think you're blowing this out of proportion a bit.  I mean that if a member blatantly violates known laws and involves this forum in the process, banning will happen. I don't think that is too much to ask-any organization would ask of the same (except the obvious questionable ones). With that said, I admit that may be too harsh to ban right away. A warning would be more appropriate. And we've (I'll include the other admins here) had to do that for various issues, you just don't see the behind the scenes actions taken.

It's a fuzzy line IMO.  If a picture is on the web,-say on someones photobucket page or google images, do you think the moderators, volunteering our time and not trained in the legal field, have the time or inclination to research every single one to determine if it's the posters, if permission given, etc?  Of course not. We work full time jobs, have families, interests, etc. We're just regular joes like you. We volunteer our time to keep this forum free of the illnesses found in other forums.  We can't catch everything, and don't want to be the post police.  That too stifling for what the purpose of this forum is all about.

There is a huge difference, to me, between copying a manual of the manufacturer who this forum is about..a manual that is not available on public domain and only available with purchase of the product or standalone direct from the manufacturer and linking to a picture from google. 

I'm not arguing about this anymore. Just use common sense.  If Hutchins has no problem with people copying their manual, then it's a non-issue.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

brackish

OK enough already, my advice to the OP:

Welcome, by the way.  If the 19 manual is of the same quality as the 23 and you spend $19 plus shipping and handling which might take it to$25-30, you will not feel like you have been "touched", you'll feel like you have been (a number of words come to mind that cannot be used on this forum).  That purchase might also cause you to form a negative opinion about the Hutchins family which would be an erroneous conclusion.  They are very helpful and supportive in so many ways to owners of their boats no matter how old or modest the vessel may be. One thing you might ask them to email to you is the excel spreadsheet that lists all the replacement items that are available for your boat.  Many of those are specific to Compac, but even when they can be purchased from other sources, ComPac is usually competitive.  Keep in mind, if you are ever stumped on an issue with regard to your boat and can't get an answer from a member here, a call or email to Hutchins will always get a response with information specific to your build period.

If you must have the manual, then buy it or copy it from another source, but don't think you will be getting anything of value.  It may be a decent starting point to add to in order to make a manual that would be specific to your boat.

my $.02 worth which is actually free, despite what the invoice says that you may get from Bob23 ;D