a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ideas needed for lights

Started by Welsh Dragon Forge, August 20, 2012, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Dragon Forge

I need ideas on placing navigation lights on my 19. If you have pictures that would be really great. I am going to do the entire boat over since I just bought it and will do LEDs. I plan on installing all new wires, lights and switches but I could use some help in the most useful placement of everything and even some sources on products.

Smier

Here's a quick link to required lights based on size, type of boat, and how it's being powered:

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/content/general/4_2_b.php

I'm about to completely rewire my CP16 and add an anchor light to the mast, I will also be converting to LED assemblies to save on battery usage.

wes

Hi Welsh - I rewired my 19 not long ago, and posted pics and parts list. Happy to share my experience with you if you have questions. You can search the forum on "mast rewiring" or try this direct link (hope it works):

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5046.msg35283#msg35283

Good luck - a fun project, WAY more fun than sanding bottom paint or schmearing 3M 5200 all over yourself....

Wes

"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Keith

Hey Welsh,

I too recently rewired the interior of my CP19/II.  Had a mouse issue and some wires were chewed so I pulled all wiring out of the inaccessible spaces under the bunks and re-routed everything up along the corner of the overhead.

I also never liked having the main fuse panel on the stairs and wanted some basic meters (volts and amps), so ordered some teak and build a new breaker panel up in the corner of the cabin.  By extending it a bit below deck level, I could squeeze in the VHF.

Last was adding a main fuse between the battery and the breaker panel.  Probably overkill, but what the hey.

HTH,

Keith

Koinonia

Id rather sand a bottom on my boat than do yard work anyday!

NateD

Quote from: Keith on August 20, 2012, 07:57:28 PM
Last was adding a main fuse between the battery and the breaker panel.  Probably overkill, but what the hey.

Do you remember where you got that fuse/block from? I'm looking for something like that.

MacGyver

I used to buy electrical stuff from delcity.net
Nice place and lots of stuff. Prices were better than local NAPA store.

I think they are in Wisconsin

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Welsh Dragon Forge

Thanks Wes and Keith for the pictures. I have been looking at them closely. They are very helpful. Im going to break out my big box of LED gear and get busy soon.

Keith

Quote from: NateD on August 21, 2012, 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: Keith on August 20, 2012, 07:57:28 PM

Do you remember where you got that fuse/block from? I'm looking for something like that.

I really like shopping with Defender, great service and excellent prices...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|296553|823929&id=663717

skip1930

All lamps on the boat are LED. All wiring is hid best I could. Come down the compression post, under the vee birth and back under the quarter birth.
The festooned bow-bi-colored red/green one, the stern white light, the steaming light, the Davis anchor light and the white/red overhead cabin light plus a side pull cord lamp.
The red compass light is the only non LED lamp. The + and - wires I placed in a vise and twisted them together with a electric drill. No compass influence.

The festooned lights, bow and stern, and white/red overhead came from our West Marine store in Sturgeon Bay.
The steaming light and socket came from AutoZone. A little wood base modification at the mast was necessary.
The Davis anchor light with eye came from the All Sail Boat Show at Navy Pier, Chicago. I added a power on/power off switch. Don't want it on when I'm on my dock.
And the pull lamp I found at a garage sale for a buck, I added another red LED from AutoZone.

The switch gear is stock, I added a Rule bilge pump with auto test and manual switch. The am/fm/CD/VHF radio with Shakespeare antenna and 'box'. I made a + buss dock and a - buss dock and the solar cell attaches at the battery. Otherwise the terminals only have two loops each with one wire going to each buss dock, the other from the solar cell.

skip.