a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What is this for?

Started by Welsh Dragon Forge, August 20, 2012, 02:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Dragon Forge

So, I am getting to know my new 19 and was wondering what this part is for and what can I do with it.

Salty19

That is to hang a block on for a spinnaker halyard.  No spinnaker?  You'll never use it.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Welsh Dragon Forge

Thank you. Then I don't plan on using it.

How about that little unused hole drilled in the side of the mast?

Shawn

It was for a wire run internally in the mast. Could have been for an antenna, anchor or nav lighting, wind instrument or anything like that.

Shawn

Welsh Dragon Forge

Thats what I thought. My first project is to get all new nav lights so I need to find something to keep the wires from being cut by that hole.

Thank you

Salty19

Yep, that hole is not from the factory. Who knows what a prior owner did there.  I'm inclined to believe is was for wiring to a masthead light, but that's a guess.

I have a small hound and block in almost that exact spot as that hole for a drifter halyard.   I couldn't use the ring you pointed out as it's forward of the headstay,  my drifter is designed to be use aft of the headstay.

If I ever removed it, the next owner will be asking what the hole is for :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Welsh Dragon Forge

Thats good to know. I started another post about new navigation lights. So if anyone has anything they could help with take a look at it please under Hardware Modification.