a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

First sail of the year!

Started by Glenn Basore, August 24, 2012, 11:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Well, I finally got my boat wet today (Friday) after a long year of not sailing  :(

As some of you know I had tuned my shrouds so this was my first sail since the tuning.

The winds were 10 - 15 with heavy marine layer blocking the sun, the sea was flat and no white caps. Almost thought I was on a lake!

I really could not tell any difference in the performance of the boat but most likely its because of my lack of sailing her to compare to.

I had a guy with me who has 5 sail boat the largest is a 30 footer and the smallest is 12 foot and he has been sailing some 40 years, he was a big help with  pointing a few things out to me and the first was, more tension is need on the upper shrouds. He pointed out to me how much movement on the heads stay when we were motoring back to the docks as he pulled on it.

When we were rigging the boat and was lifting the boom up to its proper position, he suggested raising the sail to take the weight off the boom and help lift the boom So.............worked pretty good.
With Johns gps device our ave speed was 3.9 and a top of 4.2.............I don't know how good that is or poor it is!

We sail about 18 miles and the boat was very comfortable. I will do some more adjusting on the shrouds in the future.
Glenn