a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Interior modifications coming along s l o w l y

Started by crazycarl, July 19, 2012, 09:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

i haven't had much time to sail or work on the boat this year, but i'm off to a good start today.
i placed the batteries in front of the compression post to move some weight forward.
just aft of the port side battery is the 5 amp dual battery charger.

the platform the batteries are mounted to hangs and doesn't come in contact with the hull.
there is a minimum of 3/8" clearance to compensate for the hull flexing.
when everything is finished, i'll add barrier boards and pour expanding foam under the batteries and along the sides for support and sound proofing.

i tried to fit the 10 gallon water tank in front of the batteries, but it was too cramped and i wanted easy access to everything. 
i'll search http://www.ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/categories.php?pageNum_rsProducts=0&totalRows_rsProducts=450&catID=1 for a suitable replacement.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

Excellent work Carl, I hope if you make it to CLR that you will let me aboard to do a little snooping........ I am thinking maybe this is a good idea for this winter to move some weight around...... :)

I like the battery placement :)
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Just as an aside, Carl:
   I had what appears to be the same hold down strap that you have. I found that the plastic buckles are not acid resistant. During a big blow my strap came loose, the battery went on it's side and acid collected in the plywood battery pan on my 23. The acid literally disolved the buckles not to mention made one heck of a mess. I'm in the process of installing a bolted in hold down bracket.
   Maybe you'll never have this problem. I hope not. I didn't until this spring for some reason.
   I like your battery placement. It's similair to what I'd planned to do on my 23- put the weight forward of the keel for some better pointing ability.
bob23

crazycarl

built an actual box for the batteries.  waiting for the expandable foam to arrive. 

rewiring the entire boat.  installed the dual battery selector, battery monitor, and new switch panel.

i noticed that while removing the exterior teak for refinishing, it all came off too easy.  the factory sealant is all dried out and almost nonexistent in some areas.

removing the mast tabernacle, i found wet, soft wood. yikes! grinding the hole out, it soon became dry and hard.
i filled it in with epoxy.

before reinstalling the teak, i'm wet sanding the entire deck, and then using 3M buffing/polish.
all are welcome to stop by and help out.  cold beer in the garage fridge!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

Don't you just love your multi-tool? I have a Fein and it certainly was worth the many bucks I paid for it.
bob23
(ps: What kind of beer?)