a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

interior stain-varnish

Started by frank, August 04, 2012, 09:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank

The earlier suncats had white cielings with teak strips. The last several years have had a light wood panel on the cielings. Others have done it way early. I was lazy until I saw Rick's interior while cruising Lake Champlain after he had done his...well....mine looked awefully "blah" compared to his, which looked "yacht"  ;D
I'm only posting this because the end result is so worth the effort. Kinda like when you finally clean out your garage and wonder "why did I wait SO long". You all know the feeling I'm talking about  ;D
It was a relatively easy job, inexpensive, but certainly changed to feeling of the boat.

pics here           http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,3731.msg41102.html#msg41102
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

When I bought "Frisky" NEW a few years ago all of the wood inside and outside was not coated with any protective finish. Since all the new wood was clean I decided to remove most of it and apply a coating of my choosing. I chose Sikkens Cetol since I have many years experience using it on several boats with a lot of wood. So, I proceeded to completely disassemble all the wooden cabin interior parts for proper coating and protection from marine elements.

Here is a photo of the disassembly in progress.

All the parts that were visable received several coats of Cetol while the "hidden" under bunk storage lids were sealed completely with epoxy. The backsides of the forward bulkhead and large side ceiling panels were also sealed with epoxy while the inside surface received several coats of Cetol.

The small pieces.

The ceiling panel.

And, the interior reassembled.

Since then I've added interior wooden storage modules and matched the wood grain and Cetol finish. First, the Step/2 Drawer Storage Module.

And the latest, a Starboard Storage Module.

Further mods are on the drawing board.

capt_nemo

frank

WOW!!!!! Now that's a pro job!!  Nice finish, nice cabinets...nice nice nice  ;D  Mine was the cheap n easy route by comparison in evey way. Nice carpentry work there captain!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men