a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat Cruising

Started by reedtg3, July 22, 2012, 08:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

Ahoy, Mates.  Cattail is in the yard being barrier coated and bottom painted prior to launch, the catalog I ordered from Defender Industries has not yet arrived, the sun has fallen 'neath the yardarm, the captain has ordered a double ration of grog, and I am left to ponder life's imponderables without benefit of the empirical method.  The issue I find most troubling at the moment is whether, when overnighting on a Sun Cat, I should sleep with my feet forward or aft.  Is there a consensus?
Swabbie Tom, CP 17 Sun Cat 377 "Cattail," Lake Harris, FL.         

capt_nemo

When I slept on "Frisky" in the past, it was on the factory bunk cushion with feet forward toward the bow.

HOWEVER, once I've completed the interior storage and utility modifications down below on BOTH sides, I'll be sleeping in the cabin down the centerline with head and shoulders forward under the forward hatch. In nice weather it could be down the centerline out in the cockpit!

Bottom line - whatever feels right to you!

capt_nemo
Port Charlotte, FL

Galnorth

I always sleep with my feet forward, I think there's more room for my upper body and if it's nice I can look out the companionway.

reedtg3

Thanks.  Your responses validate my plan to trim a few inches off the cushions underneath the bridge deck to make more room for stowage, and to trim a piece from each cushion along the centerline at the foot (bow) to create a space underneath the forward hatch to store an ice chest.  Unless you have a better idea for storing an ice chest.  I would prefer to put an ice chest under the bridge deck and the porta-potti under the forward hatch, but I haven't found an ice chest low enough to fit.  Maybe both belong in the cockpit while at anchor.  I've got a lot to learn and I really appreciate input from you "old-timers."
Swabbie Tom, CP 17 Sun Cat 377 "Cattail," Lake Harris, FL.

capt_nemo

reedtg3,

Made better use for the space under the bridge deck where the porta potty normally goes by making and installing a Step/Two-Drawer Storage Module. I set the porta potty on the rug covered sole facing aft ONLY when my first mate goes daysailing with me. Otherwise it stays home!

Here is a BEFORE photo.

And, the AFTER photo.

A photo with the step top removed to show additional storage area under.

My next designs will accomodate storing that "cooler" you speak of which begs for a secure accessible storage space of its own.

Hope this provides food for thought.

capt_nemo

reedtg3

Food for thought, indeed, Capt_Nemo.  I admire your woodworking skills.  And your youth, for only a young man would leave the dock without a head aboard.
Swabbie Tom, CP 17 SC 377 "Cattail" Lake Harris, FL

capt_nemo

As a matter of fact, I'm 68 this month.

And, I am an amateur wood worker and boat builder.

capt_nemo

reedtg3

Well, maybe it's your bladder that I envy.  I just turned 64.  And I have the woodworking skill of a(n unsupervised) cub scout. But it's nice to know, even at my age, that there is something I can get better at.
Swabbie Tom (striking for Grinder)
BTW, how much time in grade is required for Grinder?

capt_nemo

Have no idea how the titles change with number of posts. Just keep participating - it's both interesting and informative!

capt_nemo