a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Shape of tiller handle

Started by waterwks4me, August 10, 2013, 12:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwks4me

Hi everyone, I am new on the forum since I just purchased a 1984 compact16.  Its in sound shape but needs some TLC to get it back to its former glory.  One of the projects I have to do is replace the tiller since it is beyond repair but I would like to make one.  Can anyone show me a pic of their cockpit that shows the tiller so I can see how much curve the original tiller had.  I know that the original tiller was approximately 43" long.  I plan on taking pics of the progress on restoring her.  I have already learned quite abit on the compac16 from the forum.  This is by far not my first sailboat but when I found this boat I thought it would be a great boat for my grandson who is 8 years old to learn on.  If anyone has a pic I would greatly appreciate it.  Here is a pic

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/rrob1313/media/compac16_zps9802832d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

deisher6

Hey waterworks:
This site http://www.ruddercraft.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=64 has some dimensions, also a great foil rudder.
regards charlie

waterwks4me

Thanks Charlie, I just found that site last night.  Yes I have been reading up on the foil rudder here on the forum and found it very interesting.  It totally makes sense.  Did the newer models of compac 16's, 19's etc come with the foil rudder or has compac never bothered to make one. 

Pete H

Hi Waterworks,

I bought a new Legacy 12 months ago, and it came fully equipped with a rudder which is a flat aluminium plate with sharp square edges. No attempt to streamline it in any way. Seems to work ok.

Cheers,
Pete H
Pete H
Muggler (Compac Legacy)
Victoria
Australia
" Nothing satisfies the man who is not satisfied with a little".   Epicurus 341 BC-270BC