a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat vs. CP16

Started by Salty19, August 20, 2012, 01:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Can anyone compare the Suncat to the CP16?  Anyone had/have both?

-Pointing ability
-Comfort (cockpit and cabin overnighting)
-Seaworthiness
-Stability
-Fun factor
-Maintenance issues
-Towing
-Launching/retrieving
-Quality/value

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cavie

Paul has/does own both. He may jump in here.

frank

-Pointing ability.....similar, although the new legacy "may" point a "bit" higher with it's sprit and centerboard.
-Comfort (cockpit and cabin overnighting) Suncat!....far more lounging room below, nice footwell, more storage, more head room. Larger cockpit.
-Seaworthiness.....both are small boats. Depends on captain...but I'd take the suncat
-Stability...I find the suncat fairly stiff.
-Fun factor...both...although the 16 may feel "lighter"
-Maintenance issues...similar
-Towing...similar....but 16 is a bit lighter
-Launching/retrieving....suncat is SO easy to rig. Surprising really!
-Quality/value. Lots of older 16's at good prices. Suncat being newer and popular will help keep resale values up.

Just my 2 cents.     I love my Suncat!!!   ;D

Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Tom Ray

Though it is based on the same hull, as the name suggests, the CP-16 and Legacy are not the same. The 16 has a fixed keel, while the Legacy is a centerboard boat.

You can probably buy a 16 for quite a bit less than a Legacy, and a 16 is generally going to be fully depreciated. They have not been making the Legacy that long, so those boats are still in a different price range.

I have not sailed a 16, but have sailed a Legacy. It seemed a bit better in light air and seems to point a bit higher than the Sun Cat, but its light weight could hurt it in chop. The Sun Cat is a drier, more comfortable ride. It is also easier to rig and derig at the ramp, since the mast does not have to move.