Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

oil treatment for exterior teak?

Started by shamblin, July 29, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblin

sailors,

the exterior wood on the horizon cat is looking dry and dull.  id like to treat it with an oil treatment? that will just wipe off the fiberglass underneath.  something to just wipe or brush on.   should i just go to west of defender and get a bottle of "teak oil" and follow the directions, or is there something better.    protecting the wood is more important to me than a great appearance.    or would painting on 40 weight motor oil do as well?

i have tried varnish and paint before on other boats and like the result on the wood but cant help messing up the fiberglass underneath?

thanks,

bill in nc

Rahn

I've tried everything and have been using Semco sealer. Once the wood is cleaned and sealed, it's a matter of brushing on a coat or two each year (at least in the northeast). The wood looks like freshly sanded teak.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C10918%7C296162%7C11453%7C1744619&id=1744308

MacGyver

I have cleaned up the teak and used CETOL.

Some guys clean it up and use par varnish..... but this CETOL seems to be pretty nice.... made it look good after some light sanding and the wife loves it.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

shamblin

thanks! do you take the wood off the boat to work on it or work on it in place?

bill in nc

Rahn

Some have warned against removing the wood, especially the eyebrow and the handrails. Initially, I bought the "Semco teak slave rescue kit" and taped, sanded and treated the wood on the boat.

This year, I put on two coats of Semco after washing the teak and used paper towels to wipe up the excess. One quart has lasted for the initial treatment and two coats this year on all the wood including the cockpit grate and hatch boards. I varnished the wheel and keep it covered.

http://www.semcoteakproducts.com/semco_products.htm

MacGyver

I took ours off and did it except the eye brow pieces. (we have a cp 19)

I didnt take the eye brows off just because we wanted to get her in the water.

I taped them with blue 3m mask tape and pressed it down really well. then kind  of taped and papered up to them, just in case it dripped. went outstanding and I taped tight so no Cetol on the boat.   

I washed ours with a scrub brush brushing it gently, and they came out really clean. after it dried I did the rest of the work.

I have heard of doing the teak oil, but never have seen anyone do it, nor really know too much about how that works....... At the marina I work at we dont even sell any teak oil (that I know of) but we sell the hell out of this Cetol and spar varnish. People really like it. That is actually why I used it as well.

Mac   :D
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.