a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cabin Storage Module Concept

Started by capt_nemo, June 28, 2012, 11:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

Posted a bunch of photos on the Sun Cat Forum of a Starboard Storage Module that I fabricated.

Here are two that convey the design concept to maximize organized accessible storage capacity, which is applicable to a wide variety of boats.

The "BEFORE" shot of the area to starboard just inside the cabin. (Step/Two-Drawer Module to right previously installed.)

The "AFTER" shot of the Storage Module installed in place. Takes up a maximum of 11 inches space (lower compartment) from cabin bulkhead

The Module was "installed" quite rigid WITHOUT DRILLING A SINGLE HOLE IN THE BOAT, OR MODIFYING THE STRUCTURE OF THE BOAT IN ANY WAY! (Like all my mods so far.)

Starting to look like a well appointed "Pocket Cruiser".

capt_nemo

Bob23

Very nice, Nemo. Just what I'd expect from you.
What holds it in place? Just a very tight fit?
bob23
(ps are you staying dry down there in PG?)

Smier

Wow!!!  This just gave me an idea on how I could attractively and functionally support my cockpit area on my CP16...  Thanks for sharing, that just looks beautiful, by the way.  Well done!

capt_nemo

Bob23,

Yes, a very tight rigid fit using boat structure already there. Plus, a board across the bottom behind a teak bunk cushion fiddle (already there) and down in front of two wood cleats screwed into the bottom of the two tongue sides that go under the bridge deck liner.

capt_nemo

Saluki86

Shawn

Great work! Do you have anything planned for the other side?

Shawn

capt_nemo

Shawn,

I'm still thinking about it. Doesn't have to be exactly the same.

What type of unit do you think would prove useful!

capt_nemo

Bob23

capt_nemo

Bob23,

I respectfully, STRONGLY DISAGREE!

After thousands of cruising miles living aboard boats for long periods of time I have found that hanging lockers are a terrible use of limited storage space.

My wife and I had to "convert" a number of "hanging" lockers to shelf storage in order to utilize available storage space more efficiently. You can store a heck of a lot more clothing folded on shelves or on stacked plastic baskets than on hangers occupying the same space. Unless of course you are fortunate to have a fairly large vessel and can enjoy the luxury of conventional hanging closets.

capt_nemo

Bob23

Nemo:
   I certainly respect your experience and I do not have the cruising miles that you have.  You are probably correct. Maybe a fold down chart table? After meeting you last year (that was a true pleasure) I realized then that you have a keen engineering mind. I'm sure that whatever you come up with will work great. I really do like your "no holes drilled" approach. I've been able to do some minor mods to my 23 with that in mind, like dividing the anchor line storage area into 2 separate spaces with plywood dividers that install and remove with no tools.
   I guess I mentioned hanging locker because...well, I don't know why. Seems some sailors who venture long distances and get wet like to have a place to hang wet clothes.
   Thanks for sharing your projects with us. btw...how's the heat down there? Talked to my daughter today...seems we have the same heat that you guys have.
bob23   

capt_nemo

Bob23,

Although it IS hot and humid down here in SW Florida during the summertime, recently a major part of the US has experienced even hotter temps than we normally have. Can't help but think that we are indeed experiencing the throes of some climate change. Can only wonder what the summers and winters will be like in the future.

capt_nemo

Shawn

"What type of unit do you think would prove useful!"

I'd think almost the same thing on the other side would be really useful just for the storage. If you could find one (or build your own) it might be cool to put a fold out sink (pullman sink) in one half of the bottom compartment and a pullout/fold out stove in the other half.

Shawn

capt_nemo

Shawn,

First, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Thought long and hard early on about including a small built-in sink unit and holder/support for a small portable stove. My conclusion was that any galley fixture semi built-in (dedicated space) would not be a flexible and efficient use of available storage space aboard a 17' boat. Perhaps I need to revisit the galley fixture question with a blank sheet of design paper. A separate sub unit that attaches and removes conveniently (stored elsewhere) or a "pullman" type sink and stove compartment as you suggest certainly deserves consideration.

Would the "pullman" sink you have in mind have plumbing (hand pump and drain) or be a simple basin fixture filled and emptied by hand?

capt_nemo

Shawn

"Would the "pullman" sink you have in mind have plumbing (hand pump and drain) or be a simple basin fixture filled and emptied by hand?"

I think pump and drain as that makes it more useable. I've seen a number of different folding sink designs. For example this one:

http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/Sink/

Is interesting as there is no drain on the bottom of the basin it is built into the mount itself. When it is folded up that will save some space.

The trick would be finding one of them or building your own version.

Shipmate Stove is working on a new version of a folding sink:

http://www.shipmatestove.com/Results.cfm?category=9

They are apparently still used on some trains:

I've seen similar setups for the small portable butane stoves.

Shawn

capt_nemo

Shawn,

Thanks again for the comments - certainly food for thought.

Think I'll start playing around with some preliminary design concepts for the port side.

capt_nemo