a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder Modification, please read

Started by MacGyver, June 24, 2012, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

This is to everyone, I hope the subject line makes sense....
I have seen on here about Ida Sailors rudder setup and seen it on Island Time, I really like that, and wonder, does it really help? and how so?

I think it helps the boat steer being that it isnt just a flat form that is currently on the boat...... Am I right?

Since I have spent a bunch this year already, and have made several trips to the garage eyeing up some foam and a ton of epoxy and glass (from the boat project that the lightning made me abandon......for now.....) I was thinking, Why dont I just form a rudder right onto the blade currently?

What are the gains here?
Do you elongate it?
Does giving it shape really increase its performance?

Please give me input on this, from either buying that kit setup, or if you have done your own as to what it helps with. I really appreciate it,

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Mac:
   A foiled rudder reduces the weather helm, so it increases speed (a little) and on my 23, she pointed noticable higher. I took a very complicated route and made a wood sheathed foil shape over my stock aluminum blade. The details are somewhere in "The Continuing Adventures of Koinonia" thread in the 23 section. A simper approach is glass over foam and has been done by a number of guys here. Doug 142 sent my the NACA 0014 foil template and I still have it here in my office. It's too big to scan but I can send it to you just pm me your address if your interested.
   The foil shape helps reduce turbulance at the blade. I'm not an engineer but it really is simple hydrodynamics. I'm sure there are those here who could explain it in more technical terms but suffice it to say, you'll never go back to a flat blade. From what I can see of your glass work, this should be a simple project with great rewards. You love the increase in performance.
   Bob23

MacGyver

Bob23, PM sent!

I have been looking over the site (after search for rudder) and after telling my wife why it was specific to how it is formed and such, and the affects a ill made rudder form could be, she read with me some examples of things gone awry and such.

We found a naca foil generator? someone had a link on here and when I finally figured out the JAVA install, and got it to work, my brain melted from the complexity......

Surviving from that overwhelming of my poor brain, I refreshed this post, and saw your answer!
:D

I am excited to do this, as I was pretty sure the rudder blade that is currently on it isnt very efficient.....
I plan to do foam and glass, which will aid in raising it up. I also have all that around the shop so cheap project for the pocket book.....

Thank you sir! Much appreciated! And my brain let out a giant sigh of relief, LOL

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Greene

Jason.  If you didn't already find this thread on modifying rudders, check it out.  It is 11 pages of ideas, comments and reviews of this modification.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3106.0

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Bob23

Jason:
   I received your pm but am unable to reply...sent to a bad site. It's a paper template so I'll make copies and send 'em to you. Glad to be of help. I won't be able to make it to CLR although I'd love to be there. I think I have a rowing grudge match scheduled with Mike Greene so I'll have to forfeit and pay him with a bottle of Drambuie, if I remember correctly.
   Looking forward to following your rudder project,
Bob (wish I could 'glass) 23

Greene

Sorry to win the race that way Bob.  We were hoping to meet the legend in person.  As far as paying your gambling debts, you can consider it paid by simply referring to our winning dinghy as "Squint the Famous Racing Dinghy" from now on.   

Mike and B
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

MacGyver

You guys are hilarious, and thank you Bob23, much appreciated.

Greene, I sent you a PM also, I included my email, actually out of habit when I sent it since I was on the phone as well, doing 2 things at once is not my specialty.
Seeing that Bob23 had PM issues? Reply any way you can, Thanks!

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

Does PM mean post-menopausal or pre-menopausal?

An inquiring mind cares not to know.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Well, I sure left myself open to all kinds of jabbing via PM issues. Go for it, men!
"Squint the Famous Racing Dingy"? Never! I'll carry my rowing shell to Carlyle Lake first!
Bob23